UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2005, 9:21 pm   #1
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips D6920 Portable Cassette . Help Please

Has anyone got any Circuit / Service diagrams ... or have any knowledge of this machine.

I have not yet seen the machine , but I have been asked by an old impoverished friend from many decades back to have a look at it.

He informs me that the unit will play a cassette for a while and then will go into pause mode [ with pause indicator on ] and thereafter will not move or return to play mode.

I have been able to find pictures of the machine which suggest [ in combination with his description,] that it has logic control rather than mechanical piano key types ...

It would be handy to know what kind of door and cassette sensors this has too.

Any advice or information appreciated.

Regards
Gavin
Old 16th Jun 2005, 9:25 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips D6920 Portable Cassette . Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavtech
He informs me that the unit will play a cassette for a while and then will go into pause mode [ with pause indicator on ] and thereafter will not move or return to play mode.
Gavin, looking on the bright side, it might be something as simple as a faulty tact switch [think of all those obscure faults on early '80s Sony TVs that could be cured by replacing these], a dry joint, liquid spillage onto the switch PCB or a leaky 1N4148-type diode around the logic switching circuitry. Even if you don't get a manual, you might be lucky
Old 27th Jun 2005, 8:45 pm   #3
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips D6920 Portable Cassette . Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist
Even if you don't get a manual, you might be lucky
Thanks for the encouragement Nick.

As it turned out, in a sense I was lucky with this one. .. but I got a repeat of the old lesson that one should take nothing for granted.

I finally got to see it . Quite a nice unit, sophisticated for it's time. Full microprocessor control ...Multiple motor. Portable or mains. I had been told that it had a fresh set of batteries inside.

I had opened it up and was doing a general scan inside .. Everything looked clean and tidy ... All sub-boards were hard wired, so plug and socket dry joints which are a common problem were not going to be the issue here.
I had a casette in to test and was playing it.
I noticed that the fault occurred whenever there was a loud passage in the music... i.e. when there was high current demand.

I checked the battery supply voltage : 66% of rated voltage ... Dodgy cell? - NO ... All the individual cells were low.
I found a lead and plugged it into the mains ... Result: Perfect performance.

Nothing wrong with the machine at all - Just necessary to replace the batteries every now and then !

Doh!

Gavin
Closed Thread