UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2020, 1:36 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Output transformers.

Just come across this, wouldn't it be nice if all manufactures did this. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0020.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	202546  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 5:45 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Output transformers.

Would be nice, yes - but if it cost a cent to do the stamping, and you were making a million transformers - would you want to have to explain this 'unnecessary additional cost' to your company's shareholders at their annual meeting?
Old 9th Apr 2020, 6:02 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

I have one where the impedances are stamped with ink.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 6:14 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The CP part number shows it to be a Plessey product. You can't get much better than that. J.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 6:15 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

It's effectively an extra operation, at a new workstation.

So, while yes it would be nice, it didn't happen much!

Turns ratios are relatively easy to measure, anyway. As is DC resistance (but see another thread about using DMM's). Inductance and rated DC current are harder still, so one could argue, should these be in the stamped ID as well?

So... manufacturer's didn't bother, especially for a transformer which would get used in-house anyway.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 6:33 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Hmm a lot of negative there, I know you can find the turns ratio, done it many times, it was just nice to find this. Mick.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 7:57 pm   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

It seems odd that an OEM would have this done for something in one of their products- could it be from one of the usual suspect transformer makers as a service spare, the sort of thing that repair shops would stock and fit? The bean-counters seem to have been at work combining the functions of capacitor clamp screws and transformer mounting ditto. Part of me says cheap-skates, another part says smart pragmatists, on balance I like it!

One of the sets here has a retro-fit Gilson output transformer- the outer layer insulation has a comprehensive (if somewhat faded) label on it outlining how it is a 5k single-ended load and how to series/parallel connect the secondaries for 3.75, 7.5 and 15ohms. Another with a Chicago Transformer OPT has a label on the clamp with primary and secondary specs. on it. Probably quite a few makers did something like this for their aftermarket/hobbyist products.
Old 14th Apr 2020, 6:12 am   #8
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

Quote:
That would be nice indeed. Another example (less durable though):

Greetings,
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OPT.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	202903  
Old 14th Apr 2020, 10:58 am   #9
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
Yes it would! Transformers are often marked with primary and secondary voltages so why not impedances for output transformers?

If the only reason that companies don't do it is so the shareholders can have an extra penny per unit then It makes me think two things:
1) It's an excellent example of putting profit before all else - a basic failing of the system.
2) If the shareholders want that penny so much then I'll roll my eyes at the folly of the greed but give it to them

Steve.
Old 14th Apr 2020, 11:59 am   #10
Cobaltblue

That's not entirely fair.

During development of product we look closely at facilities and features closely and as we support the maintenance and installation teams and represent them at the design phase.
We fight hard with justifications and cost savings for every feature that can help future maintenance and installation and keep us competitive.
Profit margins are low and a few pence will make the difference between selling a lot a few or none.
How much are we prepared to pay to add a feature only of use when the equipment becomes scrap......... Nothing!

And don't forget you won't be giving them one penny it will be one for every unit sold. So you would need to give the manufacturer a six or possibly seven figure sum every year.

And yes the shareholders do have to be satisfied but they are not all just greedy individuals they are also pension schemes, trades unions, charities, the church to name but a few.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 14th Apr 2020, 12:34 pm   #11
tri-comp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gribnau View Post
Quote:

Greetings,
Robert
Hey, ... that one i made in my country.
Manufacturer: Jørgen Schou, producer of quality transformers, mains and output.

Rgds,

/Torben
Old 14th Apr 2020, 12:56 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gribnau View Post

Greetings,
Robert
Now that's nice!

Could be applied as part of the winding operation final layer tape wrap.

Wouldn't need another operation at a different workstation. Lower cost, and no potential bottleneck at the stamping station!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
If the only reason that companies don't do it is so the shareholders can have an extra penny per unit then
That's not entirely fair.

During development of product we look closely at facilities and features closely and as we support the maintenance and installation teams and represent them at the design phase.

We fight hard with justifications and cost savings for every feature that can help future maintenance and installation and keep us competitive...
I agree, not entirely fair.

If you were an investor faced with choice of where to put your money, one company which paid a dividend of £1.00 per share and one which paid a dividend of £1.01 per share, where would you put your investment?

And... if you were a consumer wanting a new radio, would you buy the £49.95 model with the internally-stamped output transformer, or the other £49.95 where the manufacturer didn't stamp the transformer but spent the saving on more handsome control knobs - but manufacturers trying to stay below the £50 psychological barrier?

Last edited by kalee20; 14th Apr 2020 at 12:59 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 14th Apr 2020, 3:29 pm   #13
fetteler
Octode

I can easily expand on why I think my comments are valid and on a forum with a different moderating philosophy* I would be very happy to do just that (and at some length!) but I'm afraid it would involve wading into some tricky topics.

Steve.

* I should stress that I have no problem at all with the strict moderation here - I like it.
Old 14th Apr 2020, 5:57 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

I notice that both examples use nuts and bolts. Quite likely to be replacements, which are in turn more likely to be marked in some way. Quite unnecessary in manufacture.

PS. We often get comments about the mythical bean counter in manufacturing. Another way of looking at it is that the efficient ones lasted longer than most before the inevitable "restructure" and demise.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 12:28 pm   #15
fetteler
Octode

Or did the manufacturers of cheaper and lower quality items go broke first? I'm thinking that Amstrad aren't really a presence in the home audio market anymore in the way that say, Quad is.

Steve.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 12:45 pm   #16
kalee20
Dekatron

Reason for going broke is usually complex, and only clear with hindsight!

Coming back to the OP's theme, I really don't like the idea of putting a transformer, with annealed high-performance laminations, under a percussive stamping machine. With cheaper transformer iron, it may not do the magnetic properties any harm, but it won't do them any good either.

Labelling as post #8 is much better IMO.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 1:05 pm   #17
fetteler
Octode

You are right about the reasons for going broke being complex as are the reasons for investing in shares in a company, those investment decisions are also much clearer with hindsight.

As for stamping the transformers best do the stamping before the frames are put round the laminations

I'm leaving this thread now, can't think of anything more positive to say other than once more agreeing with the OP's observation that (whilst accepting that many do not) it would indeed be nice if all manufacturers labelled their transformers

Steve.

Last edited by fetteler; 15th Apr 2020 at 1:20 pm.
Closed Thread