UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2012, 1:24 pm   #1
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Default Hong Kong

Maybe not useful to every one but may be interesting if you are on business or holiday? I have been going to HK on and off since 1997 and these were a couple of new finds for me.

Chu Kee Electron Tube in Nelson Street, Mong Kok (MTR Mong Kok, exit E1, cross the street in front of MTR exit keep on right side of Nelson St, past the ladies market street, shop is just along down some steps in a mainly Audiphools arcade with the bonus of a vinyl record shop opposite)

He has a lot of new valves of many types plus transformers, chokes and smoothing capacitors (oil and electrolytic). Valve tester on the counter too.

Wo King Radio, 123 Kwei Lin Street, Sham Sui Po, just off the quite well known Apliu Street. (MTR Sham Shui Po (same line as Mong Kok) exit C2, cross Apliu Street and keep to right about 5 shops along)

Quite a glory hole of components and tools but he has a good stock of new ceramic valve bases in many sizes. They are under one of the counters on the left side of the shop

Apliu Street itself has a lot of other tool and component shops, plus at least one valve hi-fi shop.

Cheers

Fred
G4BWP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	70411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	70412  
Old 5th Sep 2012, 1:56 pm   #2
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Re: Hong Kong

I wish I'd seen this a few months ago - I had a few days in HK and had a good look round Sham Sui Po. I didn't go in many of the shops - all a bit daunting for a first-time kwailo!

I was quite surprised that there wasn't more vintage "junk" about everything seemed either new tat, new expensive or hi-fi....

Hopefully the missus will get posted out there again soon, must say it is the best city visit I've had, me being a country boy and all...
Old 5th Sep 2012, 2:33 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy-dxer View Post
Wo King Radio
A familiar name for those from Surrey too, no doubt
Old 5th Sep 2012, 8:17 pm   #4
Nicko
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy-dxer View Post
Wo King Radio
A familiar name for those from Surrey too, no doubt

I used to work in Central and made many trips to Apliu St and elsewhere. My HK Chinese colleagues always said even they found HK expensive and tended to buy their valves on ebay etc.

I did buy some very good components though with prices negociated by my Chinese friends . They also told me what was fake - a lot - and what was good stuff...