UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2011, 12:45 pm   #61
radiolot
Tetrode

Default Re: Marconiphone 702 coming to auction

Gentlemen,

We have a problem with the 702.

George, Dave and I went to great lengths to make sure this set arrived at the saleroom - even transporting it on a specially designed sprung-bed crate in a solo van driven by us.
Upon arriving on Wednesday, I checked the tube was stable, the valves were fiully home and the veneers intact - they were. I ran it up yesterday with a DVD player and this morning, and all was very well.

We have just put the finishing touches to the viewing room - putting chairs out for people to sit and watch the set and flicking over a duster on everything.
I ran it up 2 hours ago and waited for the tube to warm up. I waited, and waited and waited. Nothing.
Taking off the back, all heaters were on apart from the CRT. I wiggled the plugs at the base very gently and checked for LT shorts, but nothing.
Upon a second opinion, I removed the left-hand plug with the four prongs (back two heaters), I measured the plug holes and found the 4v supply on my AVO7. But, across the heater pins, no continuity was found.
Mike B. suggested, as I quite agree, to soldering iron-heat the two pins in case a dry joint has occured between the pins and the copper feeds - this I will do when I bring in my soldering iron on Sunday.
Until then, there is no picture.

I cannot BEGIN to describe how upset I am with this, should there be a filiment melt in the tube at this stage. After all the lengths me and the team went to to make sure that this absolute beauty was cuddled and kept safe from harm throughtout its short journey with us.
I really wanted for this set to behave itself at the view and sale day.
To add to this, I have three film crews arriving today, Sunday and Monday morning - what do I say to them?

I am so miserable about this - If any of you fancy overseeing a 'clutch at straws' mission with the pin heating on Sunday by helping me, you are most welcome. Please note you will not be paid nor insured (bit like me working here).

Sorry chaps to bring you this news - The buyer therefore needs to be in possesion of an Emiscope that fits, or have the phone number to make a certain telephone to ring in France.

The telly will of course still be on view as planned - all are welcome to attend and comfort it.

thanks
Laurence
Old 15th Apr 2011, 2:15 pm   #62
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I have made most of these points in person to Laurence but it won't hurt to give them a public airing.

1. Is the break inside the glass or not. If it's between the pinch and the pin then with care the bakelite base can be removed and a repair made. Not saying it's easy but it's not impossible.
  2. Even if the break is inside the vacuum it is sometimes possible to weld the the break using EHT. Not the EHT from this set, you'd need to borrow some harmless EHT from an unsuspecting modern set. I've mended an o/c cathode in a BRC1500 chassis this way.
  3. The cost of fixing a faulty CRT is about 700 Euros, or whatever RACS charge at present. It's quantifiable rather than unknown.
Old 15th Apr 2011, 4:49 pm   #63
radiolot
Tetrode

PANIC OVER. dry joint in one of the heater socket points in the plug. Working now, and hopefully if my soldering is up to it, forever more.

There is a problem with the pins though, because I DID measure open across the heater pins. Might be a two-in-a-line dry joint, and I've fixed one.

The timing though was something!

Anyway - it works now.

Laurence
Old 15th Apr 2011, 5:04 pm   #64
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

As they say in Latin: Pro bono publico, no panico.
Old 15th Apr 2011, 5:11 pm   #65
Ian B
Hexode

Right now you must be one of the most relieved men on the planet Laurence! Well done, I'm sure you'll sleep more soundly tonight. But these bits of ancient electrickery have a thousand and one ways of testing us - as Corporal Jones (Dad's Army) would say "don't panic!". Which is easy to say.....

Best of luck,

Ian Blackbourn
Old 15th Apr 2011, 5:16 pm   #66
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

A very tense theatrical moment it seems Laurence but the show can go on! Unlike the theatre, there was no understudy available. The van journey itself must have fairly nerve-wrecking. Is anybody videoing the demo and sale for us denziens of cyber-space? After all "seeing from afar" was the expectation when this set was built. I'm baffled that there is still very limited access to say live plays by mainstream media or the Internet. [Another thread I know]. All's well that ends well-now who said that?
Dave W
Old 15th Apr 2011, 5:18 pm   #67
radiolot
Tetrode

You're telling me!!!! The biggest shock was not the EHT, but the flicker on a screen I was not expecting to see! I shall sleep better, but I am aware that this being a loose connection somewhere, we might have a problem later.

Therefore this will only go on once we have a group of people in the room who want to see it. I don;t like turing these on off on off on off.

thanks for your support boys - I needed a cuddle earlier.

Another Latin phase I used earlier at least four times - "*******ious-Sodious Feckious Workious Pleaseious".

Laurence
Old 15th Apr 2011, 5:43 pm   #68
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I'll stick my DVM and a rabbit's foot in the car on Sunday before I go up to Bonhams
Old 15th Apr 2011, 6:46 pm   #69
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The heater wiring needs to be very carefully checked especially where it passes through any connectors or spade links. The heater voltage of the 6/6 is only 4volts but the current is higher at 1.3amps. The heater voltage needs to be measured at the actual tube pins while connected. A high resistance connection will still show 4v on the AVO if floating but will collapse when the full current is drawn. The CRT pins may well be slightly coated with corrosion and this may be the reason it read O/C on test. Don't resolder it unless absolutely necessary. You might disconnect something!! The CRT heater is very robust with these early tubes and I think it unlikely you have a tube fault [other than dirty pins]
Regards, John.
Old 15th Apr 2011, 7:02 pm   #70
brianc
Rest in Peace

Well done for getting it going again Laurence - you had us crying for you (and of course, the 702) but all is well that ends well - insh'ala.
One problem for me though, is that I'm not going to make it on Sunday as I'm away, but hopefully all will go well, champers and all!!
Old 17th Apr 2011, 8:53 am   #71
ianm
Hexode

Laurence,

Well done for resolving the unexpected issue with the 702 . Must have been a very worrying time!

Who do the film crews represent? Do we need to keep an eye on our TV screens for anything that might be broadcast in the near future?

Wish I could make it to the viewing today, but unfortunately I'm stuck at work and couldn't secure a day's leave at short notice. Hope it all goes well anyway and looking forward to seeing any reports and pictures later on.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 17th Apr 2011, 4:50 pm   #72
radiolot
Tetrode

Well, today's viewing went very well indeed. Nice to see a good few regulars in - including Jeffery and Pam. Once again, a huge thanks to Jeff B for the loan of his standards convertor whilst the Domino was at the field hospital. The Dom is back in my hands and will now be 'running' the 702 from now on until the purchaser collects it.
We had a good 2 and a bit hours with the set on, on medium brightness of course, and it behaved wonderfully. No picture problems, excellent stability and not too hot when it was time for switch off. When switching on, as indeed switching off, the brightness and sen' controls are always turned to min.

I had another good look before doors open at the wiring feeding the two neck plugs. To be honest, there are a few wiring areas in the set which are a rat's maze. And one of those areas is the use of old and replaced wiring for CRT heaters. There are hardly any grommits when they go through chassis holes for instance. I think once the wiring throughout is tidied up, several tororances which are just within/over normal would suddenly be well within margin.

So, we have just tomorrow and the morning of the sale to get through. I will only switch on for a couple of hours in two sessions tomorrow - mid morning and about 2pm. I very, very, very strongly suggest that if the soon to be purchaser is reading this, they collect the telly on sale day. This set will be moved to west London to our warehouse by a third party if not collected by 6.30pm on sale day.

The press today was REX - a sort of Reuters for the newspaper world, so could be anywhere - the photographer could not tell me too much. But at least the info is soon to be out there. Use good old Google tomorrow.

See some of you soon, cheers
Laurence
Old 17th Apr 2011, 4:57 pm   #73
radiolot
Tetrode

P/S - I did NOT do any neck pin-heating with a soldering iron. I have received mixed replies and after a good think, I believe it is best left well alone.
Me with a soldering iron on an Emerscope is like having a shark in charge of a swimming pool - and I've only got one chance with it.
It works, why play with it?!?!

Laurence
Old 17th Apr 2011, 8:59 pm   #74
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Quite correct, if it ain't broke so dont fix it!

David
Old 18th Apr 2011, 12:29 pm   #75
ianm
Hexode

http://www.rexfeatures.com/set/1307495

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 18th Apr 2011, 12:45 pm   #76
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The guy took some pictures of Pam and myself by the set too. These don't seem to have appeared on the web. Probably a good thing too
Old 18th Apr 2011, 1:08 pm   #77
Alvin
Heptode

That's my head on the right of pics h & i

It's a pity you can only see thumbnails and can't download them - I did overhear the photographer agreeing to email the pics to someone there but didn't ask for myself, any chance that person is a forum member??

Alvin
Old 18th Apr 2011, 1:33 pm   #78
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Alvin, apologies if I didn't notice you there. Perhaps you had left before we came. I think the photographer said he'd email some pics to me.
Old 18th Apr 2011, 1:44 pm   #79
Alvin
Heptode

No Jeffery it wasn't you.......I was there just before 12 and left before 1.
Alvin
Old 19th Apr 2011, 8:31 am   #80
radiolot
Tetrode

Another wonderful day yesterday - and by Joe, what a day today - SALE DAY!!

That has come round quickly - perhaps too quickly, due to me missing this creature already.

Our 'little problem' with a little wire inside made its appearance again yesterday - abet briefly. Mr. Idiot (myself) had been reading the schematic for the CRT heater pin plug the wrong way around. I was measuring the back two when instead the heater pins are the front two - I often forget that valve holders are shown looking up, not looking down (silly me!!)
The CRT went back to life after this plug was really pushed home (whilst holding said neck very still). The connection between pins and plug for one/both plug holes is whisker. Many thanks to Ian for sorting me and this area out. The wires around were straightened out cafefully so that they no longer press against the rectifier valves or chassis. We're letting wire stiffness and gravity be our friend for this morning.

Also, I was little worried about the mains incoming tap screw. This was set in the middle position at 211-230V. This has been moved to231-250V and immediately the set sighed a relief hum. It is also getting less hot on a 2-hour runup. The stability and picture brightness is totally unaffected and the sound seems to be a bit better quality now for some reason.

As they say in Croydon, all good in da house.

Don't forget to regester in reception for the sale. This is lot 1, sale starting at 1pm.

many thanks to ALL of you for your wonderful support, time and kind words. Wait till you see what I have got hold of for the next sale in November ()

cheers
Lazza
Closed Thread