UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2009, 11:20 am   #1
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Identification Plate Restoration

Folks,

Before I do anything and make a hash of it, I wonder if anyone has any advice on restoring the three plates, photo attached, which belong to a US Navy rack for an HRO receiver.

How were they made originally?

The letters and border stand proud of the background by a very small amount, I am wary that any abrasive method, after first spraying the whole thing, will simply end up with a shiny piece of metal with no letters left!

Many thanks,

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	24395  
Old 7th Apr 2009, 11:33 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Identification Plate Restoration

This might be of use, Andy.
Old 7th Apr 2009, 11:59 am   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Mike,
These plates aren't screen printed, they are 'three-dimesional', made out of quite heavy metal (1mm thick) which I think might be plated copper. The background is filled with paint, but the letters don't stand proud enough for me to want to simply dive in and paint them and then attempt to clean off the letters!

Andy
Old 7th Apr 2009, 12:04 pm   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Andy,
They look to be 'Etched and Filled'. It is/was a popular process for mechanical equipement (lathes etc) which were subject to a lot of use and abuse, and also labels on Hazardous area equipment where they were supposed to survive an 'incident' (fire). The idea is to etch the surface, usually brass, aluminium or stainless, the fill the 'hole' up with paint. You could do it either way round - etch the background and let the characters show natural, or etch the characters and fill them with paint. You appear to have the former. Notionally, all you have to do is strip off the remaining paint, paint them, then gently sand off the high parts. The bad news is that it's already been done to yours, and there is probably also corrosion. The safest method is to remove any flaking paint then it's a keen eye, a steady hand and a small paint brush.
Alan
Old 8th Apr 2009, 8:38 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hmmm ... thinking aloud here, Andy. A few ideas.
  • Apply Letraset characters to use as a "resist". Spray it black and remove Letraset?
  • Make a new panel from copper sheet, do the Letraset thing and etch with ferric choride deep enough to spray background and polish letters off.
  • Same, but make it from aluminium alloy and etch with sodium hydroxide.
Old 8th Apr 2009, 11:53 am   #6
Aerodyne
Octode

Neat ideas from Mike there, Andy. Another possibility: spray metal panel with photo-resist aerosol spray. Print out your computer-set lettering on film or on plain paper on a laser printer and spray the paper with WD40 to make it translucent. Withe the paper in contact with the resist surface, expose to UV light (sunlight) for a few minutes then etch the plate as detailed by Mike.
-Tony
Old 8th Apr 2009, 1:05 pm   #7
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Mike, Tony,

A few interesting ideas there, many thanks!
An idea that has occured to me whilst assessing that the plates do seem to be nice and flat with a steel ruler, is (after cleaning off all the old paint with Nitromors if it hasn't been banned yet), spray over the whole plate, and then use the nice sharp edge of the ruler to scrape over the plates and hopefully only remove the paint from the raised letters. It is possible to just see light under the ruler in the background where the paint is to remain, so I'm optimistic. This might be more controlled than any abrasive method. As long as I don't scrape too vigorously and remove metal!
Andy
Old 8th Apr 2009, 3:38 pm   #8
Aerodyne
Octode

Since posting my suggestion I've found the following link that might interest you:

http://www.rideonrailways.co.uk/page8.html

-Tony
Old 8th Apr 2009, 5:05 pm   #9
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Andy,
Let us know if you come up with a successful solution!
John.
Old 8th Apr 2009, 6:14 pm   #10
GeorgSc
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Mike, Tony,
... then use the nice sharp edge of the ruler to scrape over the plates and hopefully only remove the paint from the raised letters. It is possible to just see light under the ruler in the background where the paint is to remain, so I'm optimistic.
Andy
Hello,
thats the way those plates were made originally.
The ruler is called a "blade" often "doctor blade" or short "doctor".
I repaired a similar, but much smaller plate in the way you described,
the differnce was, that I waited until the laquer was nearly dry
and used a rod of aluminium oxide (from a Pt100) as a doctor.
The rod had a diameter of about 8 mm and polished the brass
plate at the same time.
(Similar to a polish by a hard steel sphere)
Georg
Old 9th Apr 2009, 9:46 am   #11
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Hi !
I've done repaint on such letters. (not on radio equipment, though).
I've chemicaly stripped all paint. Then I've painted the whole in black using a spray.
When dry, I took my one hair brush and painted white the letters. Result was perfect.
I used a small Humbro white paint used for models. Fast to dry, brush strokes don't show too much. But you've to had a steady hand to get the job done....
Closed Thread