UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2009, 7:07 pm   #1
GrahamN
Hexode

Default Ekco BPT333 Case

Any suggestions please.

I have an Ekco BPT333 transistor radio with the case in a pretty poor condition. Apart from being very dirty, the covering (Rexine?) is a bit threadbare on some of the edges and there are a number of bad burn marks where presumably cigarettes have been rested on the case and have burnt down.

My question is - should I re-cover, or is it possible to paint or otherwise make it look a bit better other than just a generally clean (which I shall be doing in any case). If I re-cover it, is it possible to get anything like the original? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks
Old 14th Mar 2009, 12:41 am   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ekco BPT333 Case

Pics may help here to see how bad it is
Old 14th Mar 2009, 2:42 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

With threadbare edges and burn marks paint, shoecream, etc will improve it only up to a point. You'd need to clean it first anyway and that could well remove even more colour and/or reveal yet more blemishes.

The problem with burns is that, even though the blackening can be disguised the scar left by the heat cannot be. At the very least, the surface texture of the rexine will have been destroyed.

This is a radio with a straightforward, boxy cabinet so recovering would be a relatively easy task.

As has been said though, a picture or two might be useful to determine just how bad it actually is.
Old 14th Mar 2009, 10:03 pm   #4
GrahamN
Hexode

Sorry - I've been out all day today. I'll take a few pictures in the morning.
Old 15th Mar 2009, 11:35 am   #5
GrahamN
Hexode

Pictures as promised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BPT333 001.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	23824   Click image for larger version

Name:	BPT333 002.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	23825   Click image for larger version

Name:	BPT333 003.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	23826   Click image for larger version

Name:	BPT333 004.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	23827  
Old 15th Mar 2009, 12:18 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Scrub it up and see how bad it is then . Dont rub too hard or the finish may go thin. I supect that to be presentable ,re covering may be best option . If you can remove the original in whole pieces this will help as templates . Sid chaplain ,who does grill cloth also does vynal ,which may or may not work . It may be too thick .But I belive that taditional rexines are available in paper backed and maybe even cloth . I dont know where from but I think I read something on this site a couple of years ago.
Old 15th Mar 2009, 1:46 pm   #7
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

This thread, https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=24451

in the archive deals with suppliers of Rexine.

Regards,
Old 15th Mar 2009, 2:43 pm   #8
GrahamN
Hexode

Thanks Brian.

I did find that earlier (though from a Google search rather than the forum search for some reason). If I can't find anything else, I may order some and hope I can do a recover without totally ruining the radio!
Closed Thread