UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2008, 7:08 pm   #1
suburbiaboy
Retired Dormant Member

Default 0.01uf Capacitor

Hi guys,

I've just been given an old Trio (Kenwood) integrated amp. After getting it working briefly it's now dead and I seem to have blown a capacitor across the mains.

The capacitor is marked at 0.01uF at 630wV. Does anyone know where I can find such a capacitor?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th Aug 2008, 7:17 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 0.01uf Capacitor

You will need an X2 rated capacitor. Maplins sell them - the value isn't critical and anything between 0.0047uf and 0.047uf will be OK. You will probably find some suitable caps if you dismantle an old computer PSU.

Paul
Old 11th Aug 2008, 8:37 pm   #3
suburbiaboy
Retired Dormant Member

Great thanks.

Unfortunatly I just moved on a few old computers so I'll be off to Maplin.

Aside from age, any general speculations on what could cause problems with a capacitor across the mains and the fuse? When I was given it there was no fuse and I'm now wondering if there is a problem in this area.

Thanks
Old 11th Aug 2008, 9:25 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello,

Maplins do a 0.01uf Class x2 safety capacitor for 31p, part number N65CN.

Howard
Old 11th Aug 2008, 9:41 pm   #5
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: 0.01uf Capacitor

I use an X2 rated encapsulated device which is a 0.01 cap in series with a 120Ohm resistor XEB1201 from RS or Farnell. Another useful device to put directly after the mains switch is a two lead semiconductor which remains high until a spike appears, it then goes low and shorts out the spike, don't have a number for them but they are in the catalogue. I have had these safely fitted without any trouble for years to various bits of kit.

Geof
Old 11th Aug 2008, 10:10 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbiaboy View Post
Aside from age, any general speculations on what could cause problems with a capacitor across the mains and the fuse? When I was given it there was no fuse and I'm now wondering if there is a problem in this area.
Capacitors across the mains shouldn't fail short circuit - class X2 caps are specifically rated not to do this. If the cap *does* fail short circuit it will almost certainly blow any protecting fuse. The cap may have been zapped by a mains spike.

This isn't to say that you don't have an additional fault of course - there's no knowing that from the info you've given.

Paul
Old 11th Aug 2008, 10:36 pm   #7
suburbiaboy
Retired Dormant Member

Ok that's fair enough.

Thanks to all for all of the help.
Old 12th Aug 2008, 9:53 am   #8
Station X

The amp should still work with this capacitor removed. It might be worth removing it and replacing any blown fuses. You can then see if the amp works before spending money on a new capacitor.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Aug 2008, 10:52 am   #9
suburbiaboy
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah, that make sense I'll pull it out and give that a go.

Thanks
Old 16th Aug 2008, 9:20 pm   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
Another useful device to put directly after the mains switch is a two lead semiconductor which remains high until a spike appears, it then goes low and shorts out the spike, don't have a number for them but they are in the catalogue.
A metal oxide varistor, you mean? CP76H from Maplin, 99p.
Old 17th Aug 2008, 11:26 am   #11
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: 0.01uf Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
A metal oxide varistor, you mean? CP76H from Maplin, 99p.

That's the chap, though the ones I use have a white body with an orange and black band.

Geof
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 1:08 am   #12
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

These varistors come in a variety of voltage and other specifications. I don`t know about Maplin but Farnell sell a range. I have one across my mains input to the house to help keep spikes out of equipment. We are fed by overhead lines here.
Pat
Closed Thread