UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2014, 3:42 pm   #1
greenman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help with ALBA R17 Reel to Reel

Hi All,
I am trying to fix an Alba R17 reel to reel which seems to work ok apart from really low volume (barely audible), using the monitor socket which I presume is the headphone socket isn't any louder. Started by cleaning heads and wheels, the belts are quite floppy so they are possibly no good. Looking inside there is a valve which is lit really dimly and another larger valve that is not lit up, Do you think if I can replace the valves it may work? I have attached a few pics to show the model and valves. I would be very grateful for any help you can provide. My reason for trying this is to listen to old tapes of people who are no longer with us.
Many Thanks Rob (greenman).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alba 6x8.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	88247   Click image for larger version

Name:	alba 8x6.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	88248   Click image for larger version

Name:	alba8x6.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	88249   Click image for larger version

Name:	alba6x8.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	88250  
Old 26th Jan 2014, 5:19 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with ALBA R17 Reel to Reel

Are you OK to attempt this? Not in Insult in any way, shape or form but an honest answer required.

If it's not lit, then the heater could have gone. The valve type here is an ECL86 by the way. If this is not working then you won't get any output from the speaker.

There are a few capacitors that need to be changed too - the circuit is up top there by the way. Look on here for advice on this model using the search bar on top.

Be warned - this machine has a very cheap way of switching from Play to Record and it does not do the ECL86 any good if it is set up wrong. I know...

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=58647

Nice little machine actually.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 26th Jan 2014, 5:21 pm   #3
llama
Octode

Hi Rob and welcome.

This should be straightforward to get going. Those BSR decks are quite reliable. As I remember, the drive is via idler wheels rather than a belt - the belt being for the turns counter and not important.

Low volume from the monitor socket may not be a fault as it's probably intended to drive a valve amplifier with an input impedance of 1 M Ohms rather than the 30 Ohms of your headphones (typically). That is several orders of magnitude.

All of us here would recommend changing the grid coupling capacitor of the output valve. It'll be between 0.01 uF and 0.1 uF and rated at perhaps 250 Volts. These tend to leak electrically and damage the valve and many associated components.

We're here to help.
Graham
Old 30th Jan 2014, 12:02 pm   #4
greenman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the answers chaps, iI'll do some more searching on the forum before I attempt anything. Out of interest are there any members in the South Yorkshire area that would attempt a repair on this machine if I'm not capable, also would you be able to recommend a shop or member who can convert the tapes I have to DC.

Cheers Rob(greenman).
Closed Thread