UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2006, 9:14 pm   #1
af024
Octode

Talking A Source of Suitable Potentiometers?

With all the difficulties nowadays in sourcing new suitable replacement potentiometers from the likes of RS, Farnell, CPC and Maplin etc, I came across this company (UK-based) that I’ve just got to share with you. It’s called Omeg. Some of you may have already found them. For those of you who haven’t, here is their address and contact details together with some info on some useful pots:-

Omeg Limited
Imberhorne Industrial Estate
East Grinstead
West Sussex
RH19 1RJ

Tel: +44 (0) 1342 410420
Fax: +44 (0) 1342 316253
Web: www.omeg.co.uk
Email: sales@omeg.co.uk

Now I wouldn’t say that working out the correct part number is particularly easy, but if you describe exactly what you want to them – the whole works, leave nothing out (spindle diameter, with or without flat, length, whether you want the flat all the way down or just part way, mounting bush size, log, antilog or lin, single, dual, triple gang etc gang, switched or not, double pole etc), they can make it for you. OK, you have to agree to purchase a minimum number of 10 per pot type to make it worth their while, but they are very obliging and will generally get things made up and shipped out to you within 2-3 weeks. I can’t recommend them enough – seriously, AND they are a UK firm – so why not support them and get something that you need? No I don’t have shares and I have no connection with them in a financial capacity or otherwise, I just thought they served me well. As a starter, here are some part numbers and corresponding descriptions that may be useful to you:-

OW20BU/B4OW2S 1KA with Bush 3/8” diam x 8mm long, spindle ¼” dia, plastic 65mm long to base of thread with flat 5.5mm A/F x 15mm
was suitable for my Pye Black Box ON/OFF/Tone control (1k lin single gang with double-pole mains-rated switch)

OW2G20BU 1MEGA (with the same description above) was suitable for my Pye Black Box VOL control (in my case my original pot was 1M lin, dual gang – yes I know lin seems a bit weird, but that’s what it was)

OW20BU/B4OW2S 1KB with Bush 3/8” diam x 8mm long, spindle ¼” dia, plastic 50mm long to base of thread of bush with flat 5.5mm A/F x 41mm long is a single gang 1k log pot with double-pole switch fitted (mains rated).

OW2G20BU 2 x 1KB with Bush 3/8” diam x 8mm long, spindle ¼” dia, plastic 50mm long to base of thread of bush with flat 5.5mm A/F x 41mm long is a double gang 1k log pot.

OW20BU/B4OW2S 470KB with Bush 3/8” diam x 8mm long, spindle ¼” dia, plastic 50mm long to base of thread of bush with flat 5.5mm A/F x 41mm long is a single gang 470k log pot with double-pole switch fitted (mains rated).

OW20BU/B4OW2S 1MB with Bush 3/8” diam x 8mm long, spindle ¼” dia, plastic 50mm long to base of thread of bush with flat 5.5mm A/F x 41mm long is a single gang 1M log pot with double-pole switch fitted (mains rated).

Well you get the idea.

The pots look very much like the old Radiospares ‘Midget’ pot range and as you can see, you can have long shafts with a flat running all the way down in the old values (or thereabouts).

Prices and Ordering

I’ve just checked current prices with Omeg and for the pot types listed above here’s the score (remember that the minimum qty is 10 per pot type):-

OW20BU/B4OW2S
10 x 470KB £2.63 each
10 x 1MEGB £2.63 each
10 x 1KB £2.69 each
10 x OW2G20BU 2 x 1KB £2.57 each
Add postage and VAT

They accept credit cards and personal cheques. Switch/Maestro not accepted (sorry).

In short, you specify something within their capability and they’ll build it.

I don’t think that’s bad for a made to order service really!

Hopefully this is of use to people.

Regards,

Andy
Old 13th Apr 2006, 1:42 am   #2
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: A Source of Suitable Potentiometers?

Maplin pots (i think) are made by these people by the looks of it. One had Omeg stmped on it which really confused me because i thought it meant 0 meg!
Old 13th Apr 2006, 5:14 am   #3
FrankB
Heptode

If you don't mind ordering from the U.S., Mark Oppat is THE man to contact.

He has the ability to make up almost any pot you may need.
He just acquired the entire stock of the person who bought up all the Centralab(?) stock when they quit mfg. universal replacement pots.

He can be reached at moppatATcomcastDOTnet.
Just replace the AT and DOT with the appropriate characters.

He is a great guy and has a tremendous stock of old radio parts for U.S. radios and a boneyard of foreign radio parts also.

He can also supply factory schematic copies for almost any old US made radio and some others too.
Old 13th Apr 2006, 7:21 pm   #4
af024
Octode

Yes I suspect you are correct, BUT I don't think you'll be able to get the full range from Maplin - especially the high values in log and with long flatted imperial shafts. I'm sure I've been round the houses on that one before.

Regards,

Andy
Old 14th Apr 2006, 10:16 am   #5
Aerodyne
Octode

Very useful source, Andy. Many thanks for that.
-Tony
Closed Thread