UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2012, 10:40 am   #1
jim_jobe
Heptode

Default AEI Gt41 Transistors

Just to inform Vintage Transistor enthusiasts that Birketts in Lincoln have unearthed some boxes of 100 AEI Germanium GT41 transistors which they are selling at £15 for a sealed box of 100. I doubt if these will ever be available like this again.
Jim
Old 12th Oct 2012, 12:34 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: AEI Gt41 Transistors

Are they any good for those "Fuzz" devices that seem to demand silly money for OC44/45 series transistors?

Maybe Birkett missed an opportunity here
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Oct 2012, 2:19 pm   #3
peter_sol
Octode

They are equivalent to OC44N
Old 12th Oct 2012, 4:41 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

They have a lower Hfe than OC44N by quite a bit.
Old 14th Oct 2012, 10:18 am   #5
jim_jobe
Heptode

I've ordered some, so I'll let you know how thet test out; hFE is supposed to be about 30 and fT 4MHz. They were originally sold as IF amps and switching transistors.
Jim
Old 16th Oct 2012, 10:56 am   #6
jim_jobe
Heptode

The GT41Bs arrived this morning. They are packed in five layers of 20 (see photo) and I've tested the top layer for hFE using a DMM. Out of the twenty, one has a gain of 4, one of 74 and one of 102. One is a dud with very high leakage from C to E but all the others have gains between 30 and 54. I haven't time today but I'll check their fTs in a day or so. I reckon they're a bargain at 15p each!
Jim
(PS: I have no connection with Birkett's!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt41b.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	71568  
Old 17th Oct 2012, 5:13 pm   #7
jim_jobe
Heptode

I've tried checking fT by connecting the transistors in common base and putting in an input from my sig gen and feeding the output to a CRO but this wasn't very successful (I;ve mentioned this before!).
Old 17th Oct 2012, 5:21 pm   #8
paulsherwin

My Towers gives an fT of 2M so they will probably be OK as OC44 replacements, though the gain is indeed a bit low. Individual transistors may be better if you can hand select of course.

Be careful with voltage though - the Vce is only 9V
Old 17th Oct 2012, 8:34 pm   #9
jim_jobe
Heptode

Cheers Paul,
The gain in common base fell by 3db at about 3MHz but it did the same when I substituted an OC44 and an ASZ21 (!) so I think there was something wrong with my methodology somehow! I just used a very simple setup using common base set up for Ic of 1mA and connecting my CRO across the collector load. The input was from my Heathkit Sig. Gen.
Interestingly the "dud" (Icbo=0.5mA) worked just as well as also did the one with hFE of 4.
Closed Thread