UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2012, 1:14 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Builders' rubbish.

A mate recently rescued a number of radio receivers from the back of a builders pick up truck. He was clearing the house prior to work and discovered them in the building. It was just by chance that he was attending a service call next door and spied them! He asked the builder if he could have them and was informed that five minutes later they would have been on their way to the tip.

They say that if you wait long enough, what your looking for will turn up. I have amassed quite a collection over the years but do not have a BUSH DAC90. I have looked around for a while now as I have the DAC90A and many of it's variants but not the humble DAC 90.

Well I have one now and a super example it is too. A cream/white version with no cracks and a very nice back. It has an ECH35 fitted in place of the .2amp CCH35 but I don't expect the performance can have been much reduced as it appears to have been in place for many years. The DAC90 as good as it is, appears to be quite lethal with the tags of the mains dropper so close to the holes in the card back especially as the heat has made a small hole in the worst position possible. Thank goodness most of these are in the hands of responsible collectors! They are definitely not safe in the hands of the general public today.

The Roberts R66 is a cracker only missing a knob. I expect it fell off when being 'loaded' into the truck!
The Dutch Philips Philetta includes VHF! 127 or 220v only but very neat.
The battered VHF 90A has a crack along the base but they seem to suffer from cabinet damage. I have one with the complete top missing.
There is also a very small RGD FM only model and a couple I have not yet been able to investigate.

Keep looking in those builders skips but make sure you obtain permission from whoever's responsible for the skip.

Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skip finds..jpg
Views:	530
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	70663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skip finds. (1).jpg
Views:	525
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	70664  
Old 15th Sep 2012, 2:26 pm   #2
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Builders rubbish.

Nice finds John. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap. Colin.
Old 15th Sep 2012, 2:32 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Builders rubbish.

That's the way to do it.

Peter
Old 15th Sep 2012, 5:01 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Builders' rubbish.

All classics. Thank goodness they didn't get damaged en route!

Well done for saving them.

Nick.
Old 15th Sep 2012, 6:00 pm   #5
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

What a lucky break, all look in decent condition too, sounds, sorry looks like the previous owner was a bit of a collector too.

Well done that man..
Old 16th Sep 2012, 12:28 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I did wonder that Graham. There were probably a lot more as other guys had been working in the house before this chap. The same old story I'm afraid but at least a few have been saved. Regards, John.
Old 16th Sep 2012, 8:09 pm   #7
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Well done John, a few more saved!
I quite like the styling of the Philetta, looks very neat

Cheers
Old 16th Sep 2012, 10:44 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

Well done - yes I share your opinions on the DAC90 though rumour has it that it performs slightly better than the DAC90a despite getting stinking hot. As I have one on the to-do pile, some day I'll find out.

The Philetta is another set that gets stinking hot, in its rather small cabinet. And it too is a fairly high-spec radio - yes, VHF as well as LW / MW and SW; two independent tuning drives; gram pick-up input. I have one that I used in my student days, and a good companion it was too. Cross your fingers it does not need much attention - components are stacked several deep under the chassis.

Congratulations on the find! Hope your mate gave the builder a tip for a few drinks!
Old 17th Sep 2012, 8:55 am   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Just a quick update. Roberts R66 to my surprise performed 100% on switch on. Philetta is dead. DAC90 hums like fury due to O/C smoothing. VHF90A lights up but no H.T. They all look completely untouched so should be nice toys to play with during the dark evenings. A quick shot of the Philips with the back removed and its general appearance.
Yes Kalee, it certainly is tight packed. I don't think I have ever seen so many components in such a small radio. It appears to be original and I think this is the first time the back has been removed. I really don't want to disturb this one but will investigate and maybe open a new thread in the months ahead. Regards, John. P.S. The builder was sorted. He is still working at the same location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philetta.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	70710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philetta (1).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	70711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philetta (2).jpg
Views:	269