UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2012, 10:31 pm   #1
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Piccadilly Market; telephone stall.

Hi, yesterday (Wednesday) I visited Piccadilly Market, which is held in the front courtyard of St James Church. See:-

http://www.st-james-piccadilly.org/market.html

One of the stalls had quite a number of antique telephones on sale, which as far as I could see appeared to be genuine.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 31st Aug 2012, 12:38 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Piccadilly Market; telephone stall.

Did you get to see the prices?

I've found "antique" shops etc. usually very overpriced, but with the occasional bargain. For example, I found a tatty 332 in our local garden centre-cum-antiques centre for £20 which I thought was very reasonable.

N.
Old 1st Sep 2012, 10:44 am   #3
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Nick,

over the past decades I must have driven past this market thousands of time, but this was the first and only time I was walking and thus took the opportunity to visit. It was late in the day and some of the stalls were already closing.

I did not see any prices and although I was close, the phones were displayed at the back of the stall, such that I could not inspect closely.

However, as advised previously, from what I could see all appeared genuine and in good condition. There were upright models (candlestick?) and also later ones from up to the 80's I would think.

If I get the opportunity again in the near future I will take a closer look and advise.

Regards - Mike
Old 1st Sep 2012, 12:05 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It might be worth adding that Tuesday is the 'official' antiques and collectables market, but further down this website it says A&C traders are present on other days too - as Mike discovered on his Wednesday visit.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 11:56 am   #5
Nicko
Pentode

I used to work in St. James's/West End and went to this market often, but didn't see this guy - on different days they do different things.

Generally (and somewhat surprisingly) prices are normally pretty reasonable.