UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2012, 4:06 pm   #1
Red Studio
Retired Dormant Member

Default 78s in need of rescue

Yesterday I was dropping off some furniture at the Action 21 recycling centre on Ramsey Road in Leamington and stopped to look through their records. The centre is a charity that recycles items too good for the tip which would otherwise be thrown out and I frequently look through their records and buy the odd single or LP, usually for around 50p.
Yesterday's purchase was a near mint original 1933 78 of Paul Robeson singing "Lazy Bones" (with "Carry Me Back to Green Pastures" on the reverse) for the princely sum of 50p! They had several boxes of 78s in similar condition just crying out for someone who knows what they're looking at to rescue them.
Anyone local to the facility with even the vaguest interest should get round there and save some of these. I'd been on the lookout for Paul Robeson 78s but never expected to find such a gem there so maybe someone else will be lucky too.
Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Robeson.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	64591  
Old 6th Aug 2012, 6:49 pm   #2
Red Studio
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 78s in need of rescue

I was back at the recycling centre at the weekend and there is still a large number of 78s there along with quite a bit of vinyl too. Some of the 78s have been damaged beyond repair but there's still a lot of clean records in original sleeves on various labels.
It's Action 21 recycling centre on Ramsey Road, Leamington Spa.
Mitch
Closed Thread