UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2010, 12:25 pm   #21
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: GEC D5605A toaster, plus others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Ah... I have an original (Ca 1948) Hawkins 'Electric Hostess' awaiting restoration - it's the predecessor to the 70s hostess trolleys, so I imagine that Hawkins were taken over by Ekco at some point. When I can get to it, I'll take a few pics and start a thread.
Hawkins was part of Pye from a very early stage. The Drury Lane address was the head office with manufacturing premises in Cambridge (I think).

So that does explain the later Ekco Hostess Trolley. Same animal with a different badge.
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 1:38 am   #22
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

I use my toaster evrey day the best toast i have ever had and done in no time its the same one you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00494.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	38465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00496.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	38466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00499.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	38467  
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 10:42 pm   #23
Techman
Dekatron

That is fantastic, Ekco-Scott!

I love that. Proper original mains lead like mine, too!

I think yours is in better condition than mine - plus, it works!

PS, some very interesting stuff being posted by everyone on this thread.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 5:40 pm   #24
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default old "Premier" toaster

hi, I brought this old toaster at an auction for a staggering £5 I heard that vintage kitchen items are becoming collectable. I rewired it and it worked! Does anyone know about these, i only know that it was made by Premier, runs on 210v (apparently regular voltage for old toasters) and as CAT No 916 and its serial number is B8. I have it on everyday and it makes toast very well... and fast does anyone know when they were made. it looks very 30's
thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	premier..jpg
Views:	171
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	39473  
Old 16th Aug 2010, 8:29 am   #25
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: old "Premier" toaster

Yes photo helps .
.Old toasters are very quick .I had to give up my murphy Richards pop up as it was constantly trapping toast and sometimes developed a fault where one panel lit up twice as bright and set fire to the toast !I retired it , but it was quick .Bought a modern one similar style .It was so slow i could walk the dog while waiting so I gave it to Mum, and bought another one at higher wattage .Its just as bad I now warm it up while getting stuff ready before adding bread !
Old 16th Aug 2010, 11:15 am   #26
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

You'll find some info, largely from myself, on Premier toasters earlier in this thread.

These items date from the 1930s and I believe remained available until as late as 1970 or thereabouts.

I don't know about these items now becoming collectable though. To people such as ourselves they are, but I'd think that's all. Old domestic appliances, especially from the kitchen, remain very common at flea markets, antique centres and so forth, so as yet few have any significant value.
Old 19th Oct 2010, 3:29 am   #27
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

Unhappy Re: GEC D5605A toaster, plus others.

Sadly my toaster has died i can't find the break in the element checked the fuse and it was fine i'm sad i think it dusn't like the new kichen
Old 24th Oct 2010, 1:25 pm   #28
Paul_RK
Dekatron

A 1982 Dualit in service here, but a few more are "resting": two of them below, a Prilect and a Murlek by Murison Electricals of Sunderland. The latter's a little unusual for its rather boxy styling and the Douglas fir base.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2199a.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	41847   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2200a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	41848  
Old 24th Oct 2010, 1:44 pm   #29
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Crumbs, they are both quite unusual looking.

I wonder what the point of the wooden base was? Are the mains cable and associated gubbins mounted on it for insulation purposes?
Old 24th Oct 2010, 2:06 pm   #30
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I think the base is just there as an element of the style and to give the toaster a welcome "heft" and stability: a small slab of pine with a lick of black gloss wouldn't have added much to the cost The press-on metal feet each conceal the head of a bolt, and the toaster assembly is bolted directly to the base which doesn't have any further active role to play.

I've an HMV TU1 ("Toasting Unit"? their hair dryer at the time was model HD1, initials concealing nothing ) hiding somewhere too, missing a couple of its small bakelite handles but I still had it in regular use for a while: that's one of my favourite designs http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/r...g=2&imagepos=7 .

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 24th Oct 2010 at 2:14 pm.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 2:46 pm   #31
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

That HMV is a nice, stylish unit which tells something of a story. The name 'Burlington' is associated with cities of that name in the USA and Canada, plus that rounded and slightly bulbous style reflects that of American cars and other things of the time. This was a styling that briefly crept over here to the UK, hence the toaster depicted.

I do not know if HMV did, or intended to, export products such as this but due to the postwar situation then prevailing I'd think they did. So it could've been a case of 'Nick the styling from the USA and sell it back to them'.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 6:20 pm   #32
McMurdo
Dekatron

Couple of toasters here from a 1937 wholesaler's catalogue.
Interesting that the one on the second row can accept a conventional toast-rack on the top warming plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toasters.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	41859