UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2019, 2:19 pm   #1
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Default Goldring 101 Turntable

I feel rather stupid, but I can't see how to get to the belt - turntable will not lift off. Do you have to remove whole deck (it's in a Dynatron gram) to get at it?
Hopefully somebody can help, saving me pulling things apart unecessarily.
Also anyone have a link for the service manual?
Old 12th Sep 2019, 3:56 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Goldring 101 Turntable

Can you lift the silver platter up from the middle of the turntable mat? If not you have to lift the mat up and you will find the circlip. (I can't remember whether it's the silver middle or the whole mat that comes off.)

Remove the circlip and it should lift right off

Good Luck
Old 12th Sep 2019, 4:12 pm   #3
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Turns out it not like BSR or Collaro - I found that there is a small screw underside that has to be removed. Then the turntable lifts out with spindle which has a captive (I hope!) ball bearing at the bottom. So now I know how to remove it. Looks like a 70mm x 3mm x 0,6mm flat belt will be OK. Original is missing so not sure but the plastic fork that moves the belt to change speeds has a gap just over 3mm. Also the rubber debris on the pulley is 3mm wide. I'm not sure if the fork has been made wider by an incorrect belt before - see picture of it - was it made like that? And another puzzle - the larger plastic pulley at centre of the turntable isn't solidly fixed to the turntable - it's a tight friction fit - not sure if this is correct?? Does anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	190036  
Old 12th Sep 2019, 11:36 pm   #4
jamesperrett
Octode

I think these turntables use a triangular section belt and the shape is important. As mentioned in the recent thread at

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...01#post1175301
Old 13th Sep 2019, 7:55 pm   #5
Colin Boggis
Pentode

As the pulley wheel is flat (now I've cleaned off the rubber debris I can see it clearly) that seems unlikely. Maybe different belt types were used during production? Anyway, I've got a 3mm flat belt on order - when it's fitted I will update this thread.
Seems nobody has any idea about the plastic drive on the turntable platter. I guess I'll just have to see if the friction fit works ok and if not, a touch of glue?
Old 13th Sep 2019, 8:03 pm   #6
Colin Boggis
Pentode

STOP PRESS - I just read the thread suggested by jamesperrett. Could be that it isn't a flat belt and triangular is correct. That would have a flat side running on the pulley and explain the shaped notch in the plastic fork. I assume it's only on one side as pushing belt onto larger diameter part of pulley would require more pressure. As I said earlier I'll see what happens with the flat belt and then seek ot a triangular one if it fails. Hopefully it will work as the triangular belt is at a crazy price.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 3:39 pm   #7
Colin Boggis
Pentode

The flat belt does work, but the turntable is a fraction slow at both 33.3 & 45 rpm. Might be that the belt's too tight. I'll continue experimenting.
Coming back to 19Seventy7 's comments - the mat and silver cenre are definetly stuck down, and the adhesion looks to be original - it's a thin double sided adhesive sheet and it's a perfect fit to the turntable. Must say it seems a bit odd as it makes it impossible the replace the belt without taking the deck out - certainly not user friendly!
Old 15th Sep 2019, 7:19 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

On mine, you could remove the mat and disc easily enough to get at the circlip to release the aluminium platter. That was 30 years ago though, so the stickiness of the double-sided material may have increased over the decades.
Old 19th Sep 2019, 12:04 pm   #9
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Update as promised - a square belt, 76 mm diameter 1.25mm x 1.25mm now fitted and it works perfectly - strobe rock steady on both 33 & 45 rpm. So. it might not be the correct belt, but it does the job.
Closed Thread