UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2019, 9:21 pm   #1
Sinewave
Octode

Default Taylor Model 60 All Wave Signal Generator

So, this one is in such a state, I believe it to be worthy of its own restoration thread. Also as I'll probably need some advice on this one also.

I picked this up recently for less than the cost of a pint of ale in my local pub. I was told it's working, though a brief inspection warned me against plugging it into the mains, but the cheap price meant I couldn't resist it.

First thoughts as noted on a previous Taylor thread of mine is how different it is in appearance.

There is a power switch to the side, rather than on the front with the MOD switch.

As you can see, in the original hole with no gland there is some very dodgy looking two core, so this isn't earthed. Also the voltage selection screw is a plain cheese head screw, how very dodgy indeed!

I'll be needing to replace the 'Multiply By' and 'Audio Output' switches as they are damaged. The audio output switch has been replaced at some point, but it's already damaged some how.

Before I spend on it, I'll need to verify that the mains transformer is actually good.

I've searched high and low for the circuit diagrams for this, but haven't found anything. I could probably work it out as for most part it's not a difficult circuit, but as it's been meddled with in the past I'd just like to know that things are in the right place.

So there are a few things I'll be needing to do, but I hope to get it running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor Model 60.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	187383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor Model 602.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	187384  
Old 4th Aug 2019, 9:20 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Taylor Model 60 All Wave Signal Generator

So, after getting somewhere with the 68A, I'm eager to see what I can make of this.

I still can't find any drawings for it and it's an absolute mess inside. So I'm having a go at tidying it up tonight but there are some broken connections I'll have to work out where they go!
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:29 pm   #3
Sinewave
Octode

So, slowly brought it up to mains potential.

Nothing but rubbish on the output of this generator, so lets start at the beginning.

Mains transformer is good.

6Z4 valve rectifier. I've got 6V on the heater circuits.

142v to each plate of the rectifier and 160v out of the rectifier, which feeds a resistor dropping the voltage down to 110v to feed the smoothing capacitor which measures 70v out in the circuit.

Just trying to chase at the minute where the wires from the modulation switch should go.

The innards of this are nothing like the Model 65's.
Old 5th Aug 2019, 8:50 pm   #4
Sinewave
Octode

Attached is a photo of the modulation switch with the common wire detached, I'm trying to find where that goes.

It is a mess inside this unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3657.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	187905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3658.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	187906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3660.jpg