UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2019, 9:47 pm   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default What bench magnifying lamp do you have?

I am going to buy a new desk lamp with magnifier as I just can't see as well as I used to.

I wonder what members use and their thoughts. Do LED lamps produce enough 'visible light?

Obviously there are loads of options on the web but I am sure there must be some good advice here what to avoid if nothing else! Thanks!!
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:07 pm   #2
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Re: What bench magnifying lamp do you have?

I’m sure others will have their own preferences but I prefer good movable lighting on the bench (I have 3 movable bright angled lamps) and a quality pair of separate magnifying glasses frames with interchangeable lenses....they were about £12 on Amazon from memory. Look up “hands free headband magnifier with interchangeable lenses” on Amazon (white frame- come with a box of 5 different lenses) these also have their own LED light built in. My eyes aren’t as good as they were and these have made a big difference and are quite comfy.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:17 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

I guess individual needs will vary but I use strong off the shelf reading glasses with good over-bench LED strip lighting. I find that magnifiers on stands just get in the way and 'spot lighting' creates awkward shadows, usually in exactly the wrong places.

Alan
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:23 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I use a couple of 50-Watt-equivalent "Daylight" 6500K GU10 LEDs in swan-neck reading-lamp stands for illumination. Their flexible stalks mean I can direct the light as needed.

Aim to get at least 1000-1500 Lux at the workplace. The camera in your phone can be used as a zero-cost Luxmeter - it will even do spectral compensation.

I then use a magnifying-eyepiece (sometimes called a Jewellers Loupe) to look at the workpiece. My optician was happy to supply one - tailored to my rather-strange pincushion-distortion-riddled left-eye prescription - for £150 on top of what I paid for the glasses.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:26 pm   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

I have "separates".

One of these on the head: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/headb...fiers/0606989/

One of these on the bench: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M7YLKQ3/

The lamp is amazing although it turns off when I transmit on 20m
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:49 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I've owned one of the desk lamp/magnifer with a circular fluorescent lamp in it for years but I've never really liked it. It just seems to get in the way!

I've just ordered a headband magnifier with built-in LED's and I'm hoping that will prove to be a good way forward.

B
Old 25th Jul 2019, 10:10 am   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

I have a x2 magnifier with a ring of cob led's, the only disappointment is the rate I get through AA cells. (four at a time) I really need to give it a separate power supply.
Dave
Old 25th Jul 2019, 10:31 am   #8
stuarth
Heptode

I had a magnifyinglamp with a circular CFL for many years and used it fairly extensively. Then the CFL went pop and scorched the plastic housing near the tube connector. I half-heartedly tried to find a replacement tube, didn’t find one the right size, it looked like they might be expensive, and I suspected the drive electronics were damaged, so I planned to replace the CFL with LEDs.

Then a couple of months ago a magnifying lamp with LEDs appeared in my local Lidl, so I got one of those. I’m pleased with it, it’s bright enough on its highest brightness setting, and in makes considerably less electrical noise than my old CFL version.

Stuart
Old 25th Jul 2019, 10:58 am   #9
chriswood1900
Octode

I used a desk magnifier with a circular fluorescent lamp for many years until it started to disintegrate possibly as a result of the UV degradation of the plastics. I then switched to one of these and have been very happy, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Owl-Magnifi...gateway&sr=8-9
I like the ability to put it up high and use it as a light if I dont need the magnifier. Dont go too cheap as they tend to be too flimsy with low levels of light.
Chris
Old 25th Jul 2019, 12:12 pm   #10
dominicbeesley
Octode

I could never get on with desk magnifiers (but then I used to have better sight!) I've started using these these

They're a bit cheap but work surprisingly well especially for doing smd work. I might treat myself to some better ones later in the year...

Maybe http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/15...yABEgJVzvD_BwE
Old 25th Jul 2019, 3:09 pm   #11
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

My new headband magnifier just arrived today. First impression is that for £14, it looks quite promising https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headband-...72.m2749.l2649.

B
Old 25th Jul 2019, 3:15 pm   #12
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
My new headband magnifier just arrived today. First impression is that for £14, it looks quite promising https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headband-...72.m2749.l2649.

B
is there any adjustment back and forth for the lens?
Old 25th Jul 2019, 3:28 pm   #13
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got one equal to the one Bazz has linked to.
It was also about 15 quid and came from one of the tool tables at our local flea market.
There was no waiting for it to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	187326  
Old 25th Jul 2019, 3:59 pm   #14
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRASSBITS View Post

is there any adjustment back and forth for the lens?
The lens can be mounted in either of two positions at different distances from your eyes and each position swivels in terms of angles. My first impression was that I felt happier with the lens in the further away position, but I wonder if that may also depend on which magnification you are using?

B
Old 25th Jul 2019, 5:58 pm   #15
Whaam68
Hexode

After trying a few this is the set that’s been working for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifier-H...s%2C139&sr=8-6
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D79A143E-8F6F-47F5-8A61-E978C6CADED1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	187348   Click image for larger version

Name:	480C7F7B-E3C2-4D18-884C-E9862BDD681F.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	187349  
Old 25th Jul 2019, 7:06 pm   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

I have the luxo-inspired twin CFL unit from CPC, I think it might be discontinued from there but is available elsewhere.

It's a few years old now, the springs have gone weak, the lamp lenses have gone yellow and only let out a little light, the cheap lens causes diffraction which changes the colour stripes on resistors to another value, and the square corners are painful if you bang your head on one which happens alot.

It's a wonder I haven't replaced it already!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lamp.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	187350  
Old 4th Aug 2019, 4:25 am   #17
PWH
Heptode

Thanks everyone. In the end I went for the daylight LED striplight and a pair of generic glasses. SWMBO says I look like Reg Prescott
Closed Thread