UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2019, 6:29 pm   #1
ksouth77
Retired Dormant Member

Default Smith Electric Wired Mantle Clock Art Deco 1930s - help removing back plate

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help.

I recently took possession of this lovely art deco clock which is mains powered. I rewired the connector and plug but alas it does not work. So I wanted to get inside the clock to check the inner workings.

I've removed the four screws that secure the back plate (as you can see from the second photo) but it will not come off. It seems to be tightly secured still to the rest of the clock. I've run a blade around the edge and although the bottom half is giving, the top section refuses to move. I am scared of forcing it.

Can anyone help with some advice on how to get it off?

Many thanks

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-04 18.26.45.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	186189   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-04 18.26.39.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	186190  
Old 6th Jul 2019, 4:01 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Smith Electric Wired Mantle Clock Art Deco 1930s - help removing back plate

My best guess is the Bakelite has swelled ever so slightly due to moisture in the air, and what was a clearance fit is now not, but please wait for a second opinion from someone with more of a clue before proceeding.

Does the starter spin freely?
Old 6th Jul 2019, 4:02 pm   #3
Station X

Default Re: Smith Electric Wired Mantle Clock Art Deco 1930s - help removing back plate

Putting a meter on ohms range across the input pins would give an instant indication as to whether the movement is faulty.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 4:55 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

Does the plastic part need to come off first? There looks to be a knurled nut at the top of the plastic part. It reminds me very much of the securing nut on the back of my mum and dads electric clock which would have been fifties or sixties.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 5:39 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I believe the knurled knob is the starter. See "Type 1 Movement"
http://www.electric-clocks.co.uk/SMITHS/sm-mvmnts.htm
Closed Thread