UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2015, 12:15 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Goblin cylinder vacuum cleaner, 1939

My question relates to the potential electrical safety of this pre-war machine, which I hope to restore for use "at work" and for which it will require a PAT certificate.

The 3-core electrical supply cable is connected via a two-pin, reversible, cable-mounted connector. The line and neutral sockets mate with a pair of fixed matching male pins on the motor assembly. The earth is via external earthing contacts on the plug-in connector, which mate with the edges of the aperture in the metal end cap. The picture shows the connector concerned.

The end cap itself is secured to the cylindrical body by two lever-operated clips, each clip secured closed by a single self-tapping screw. There's only fortuitous contact between the external metal parts, including the metal runners on which the cylinder rests.

Whilst it would be possible to cross-bond all the metal parts together with flexible cables, riveted or bolted with eyelets etc, and fit a permanently-fitted mains flex, before I go to such lengths will this be accepted by the PAT tester for a Class 1 appliance?

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goblin vac mains connector.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	110437  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 8th Jul 2015, 2:48 am   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Goblin cylinder vacuum cleaner, 1939

I would temporarily connect the 13A lead with the earth wire attached to the outer metal
case, and perform the PAT. If it passes, then you could proceed. EN60950 compliance does
require a double pole mains switch. It could also be powered using an isolating
transformer with a non standard e.g. IEC plug on the appliance.
Closed Thread