UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2014, 8:48 am   #1
Melmobattery
Retired Dormant Member

Default Goblin Teasmade 855 noisy clock

Firstly this is my first time on any forum let alone this one so hope I have understood the rules, if not please let me know.

I have recently acquired a replacement Goblin Teasmade 855. Unlike my previous one it has a seconds hand. I think it is this which is making a noise. It's not too noticeable during the day, however in the quiet of the night it is absolutely infuriating. I had my old machine for 8 years, but I don't think I can stand this noise for that amount of time.

Is there anything I can do? Is it possible to remove the seconds hand, and would that help in any case? I'd be very grateful for any advice or suggestions.
Old 26th Nov 2014, 3:30 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade 855 noisy clock

Hi?

Is the seconds hand making a noise every minute? If so it's bent and touching the other hands.

Unlikely, though - it's more likely that the noise is coming from the movement, either due to wear or damage on one of the plastic wheels.

If you're lucky the problem might be visible, otherwise you'll have to do a bit of dismantling; how are you for that?

You might have to reinstate your old one!
Old 26th Nov 2014, 3:48 pm   #3
paulsherwin

A single drop of oil on the noisy bearing often works wonders. It will be one of the bearings which rotates quickly, either the motor itself or the second hand wheel. Only a tiny amount of oil is needed.

Don't go spraying WD40 everywhere whatever you do
Old 26th Nov 2014, 7:51 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

In my mother's Teasmade the grease on the gear wheel attached to the motor shaft had dried out completely and I had to pick the hardened residue out from between the teeth with a needle. After regreasing it worked fine. This was the only gear on which grease was used. Ideally you should only use special clock oil for other lubrication as clock oil is non-drying.
Old 26th Nov 2014, 9:06 pm   #5

Easily available sewing machine oil is also quite good. Well it has to work with loads of fluff flying around. A local sewing shop will have small tubes for a quid or so, be careful, there will be lots of potential 'speaker cloth there too. Going in for a bit of oil will end up with a bag of cloth as well.

Old 26th Nov 2014, 9:25 pm   #6
paulsherwin

The mechanisms in these sorts of clocks are fairly basic gear chains and not exotic examples of horological ingenuity, and all lubricants will work pretty well and not do harm. The important thing is to have lubrication of some sort, any sort, and not let the bearings run dry. Dry bearings will be noisy and will wear quickly - eventually the clock may stop running. Most household oil will be fine - even a tiny drop of car engine oil can be used. Just don't over oil, or it will get everywhere and trap dust and fluff.

As I said earlier, don't use WD40 as it is a poor long term lubricant.

Of course, proper clock oil should certainly be used if you have it to hand, but if you're the sort of person that keeps clock oil in the cupboard then you won't be needing advice from me about clock maintenance.
Old 26th Nov 2014, 10:48 pm   #7

Quote:
proper clock oil should certainly be used if you have it to hand, but if you're the sort of person that keeps clock oil in the cupboard
I keep mine in the house master clocks case.

Back on topic, synthetic motor oil is super stuff, a pin point of it is enough for any clock bearing.

Old 27th Nov 2014, 8:53 am   #8
Melmobattery
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not really sure about dismantling, I've never really done anything like that before with electrical equipment. I have some sewing machine oil though, so could use that. As I am considering replacing it, I guess I have nothing to lose though. I blew up the electrics with my old one so can't use that!

The new one arrived with the tray damaged, and the vendor is currently negotiating with the courier. I am now wondering (too late) if this may have been the cause of the damage. It's the sort of noise that you hardly notice to begin with, but now it is driving me crazy. Not enough to make me give it up though!

Anyway, if anyone could give me a little guidance on how to access the clock motor, and where to put the oil I will try it.

Thanks a lot.
Old 27th Nov 2014, 8:48 pm   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Probably easier if you post pictures of the rear with the cover removed then we can put pointers on it.
The 855 can have two completely different motors, you see.

To add to the above, engine oil is fine on these as they really need need slightly thicker oil than clock oil.
As for WD40, any brass clock parts turn bright green when immersed in clock cleaning fluid!
Apart from the worm and its wheel, no wheels* should be lubricated at all.

*Not 'gears' and certainly not 'cogs'.
Old 28th Nov 2014, 8:55 am   #10
Melmobattery
Retired Dormant Member

Ok, will try and do that thanks
Old 28th Nov 2014, 12:44 pm   #11
Melmobattery
Retired Dormant Member

Hope the attachment has worked, and the picture shows the necessary. The model no on the back is 855 302583 if that helps. I do appreciate your effort in this!

Melanie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0765.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	100720  
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 5:25 pm   #12
newlite4
Octode

Isn't this just the self starting mechanism on the end of the motor bearing, it makes a sort of swishing sound. I had a similar noise with the Vitascope, I never ran it overnight because of this, eventually I sold it on Flog It.
Neil
Old 4th Dec 2014, 10:11 am   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Good - it's the better motor, not the awful one with plastic wheels.
Try lubricating the pivots first using what others have suggested - car engine oil is fine.

You'll probably be able to do it without any dismantling, using a piece of wire flattened at the end. That's what clock oilers look like.

Only slight ptoblem might be if the rotor needs lubricating.

Neil, I think the SS anti-reverse bit is a lever between the plates.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 16th Dec 2014, 10:19 am   #14
Melmobattery
Retired Dormant Member

Hello. First of all thanks for the suggestions. I'm afraid I'm not technical enough to know what to do from what you have suggested. I'm assuming some fuse wire hammered at the end would do? And do I push the wire into the join on the casing somewhere? As you can tell I'm lacking in the required skills here. Since my last post I have been in hospital for some planned major surgery. So I don't need the timer at the moment and have decided reluctantly to mothball it for now. So if anyone can give me an idiots guide to where to put the oil I will try it in a few months when I am recovered. Thanks again everyone.
Old 17th Dec 2014, 10:24 am   #15
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hope you're better soon. When you're ready to have a go, post us some pictures of the movement and I'll put some details on it for what to oil.

You're welcome to come over here in the New Year when I can show you what to do, then you can go home with a working Teasmade.

PM me if you want to proceed with that; we're two miles from the M62.
Old 17th Dec 2014, 7:33 pm   #16
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Sometimes I find clocks become quieter when they're put on something soft, like a cork mat, to dampen any vibrations. My old electric bedside clock's motor hummed annoyingly through the table until I did this.
Old 17th Dec 2014, 8:20 pm   #17
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Very true.
Old 20th Aug 2015, 3:39 pm   #18
Bryony11
Retired Dormant Member

I've been reading this thread with interest as I was reluctantly about to take my lovely teasmade to the charity shop for a similar reason. Like Melmobattery, I'm not sure I know where to put the oil based on the suggestions (my model is the 855). I notice that you are also in Oxford and I wondered if you would be willing to take a look at it for me? I hate the modern penchant for throwing things away rather than fixing them and would love to resurrect this lovely machine. Hope you can help...
Old 20th Aug 2015, 4:46 pm   #19
paulsherwin

I don't do third party repairs and don't consider myself an electric clock expert anyway, but there are a number of horologist members in the Oxford area who could take a quick look at this for you if they were willing. I suggest you post a request in this section: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145
Closed Thread