UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2014, 6:21 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Unusual failure of cooker spiral element.

In recent times one of the spiral hob-elements of my "Tricity Vogue" has been occasionally tripping the cooker-RCD. Thinking it was due to damp I've 'cured' this issue by heating the offending element with a blowlamp.

I now think I've sussed what the real issue is. The bright glow is the actual heating-element visible through the fracture. I've never seen one go like that before. I guess 26 years of use have finally caught up with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ring.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	98833  
Old 15th Oct 2014, 6:26 pm   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Unusual failure of cooker spiral element.

Perhaps you could solder the two parts back together
I've never seen one still working like that either.
Old 15th Oct 2014, 6:40 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It is an unusual failure I must admit.

Given that one half of the cooker-element failed a few months back, and the grill-pan also has rusted through in a couple of places I think the sordid delights of a new cooker beckon.
Old 15th Oct 2014, 6:50 pm   #4

An environmental cabinet I used as when I was an apprentice had these for the humidity water boiler. They where contained in a small metal box, when they went bang, after a while of not being used, the box filled with the internal element, no doubt expelled when the insulation (which was soaking wet by then) got hot and the water in it boiled.

Old 15th Oct 2014, 10:04 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
Perhaps you could solder the two parts back together
Nah, just tighten a suitable Jubilee clip round the gap. Job's a goodun
.........O..Chris....O
Old 16th Oct 2014, 2:47 am   #6
whyperion
Hexode

Doesn't e-spares or similar have listed replacement elements (for hob and oven?) And grill pans are fairly easy to source/ make [I know a specific width and depth may be needed and my one from the in-laws had to go as scrap due to other damage ] Depending what you are grilling a thick liner of aluminum foil should extend life a bit longer.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 8:57 am   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It's a 25-year-old generic cooker. I'm not interested in spending time sourcing parts/repairing it. "Appliances online" have some nice 900mm-wide double-oven range-type cookers at good prices.

Before the old one goes to the tip I might salvage the galvanised-steel-sheet covers from the back . . .
Old 16th Oct 2014, 9:10 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

The side panels are also good make good cement mixing boards as they have edging.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 9:14 am   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I guess 26 years of use have finally caught up with it.
Only 26 years?!!! Disgusting! Can't the manufacturer be taken to task for an obvious manufacturing defect and replace the complete cooker FOC?...and take the old one away?

Old 16th Oct 2014, 6:45 pm   #10
whyperion
Hexode

Its just that replace rather than repair goes against the (general) grain of the forum, where repairs are not over expensive and within the competence of the person with the equipment.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 6:49 pm   #11

A quick google found standard spiral rings at about 15 quid.

Old 16th Oct 2014, 7:44 pm   #12
electroanorak
Hexode

There are three of these under the lead bath of my PCB roller tinning machine (6Kw total). I have found that if I don't use it for a while it takes out the RCD after about 10 seconds. If I use a 110 volt isolating transformer and run it at half voltage for around 10 minutes, I can then use it without and the RCD does not trip.

I also used to get the same problem with a vacuum forming machine with ceramic elements.

Daniel.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 10:55 pm   #13
sexton_mallard
Heptode

My parents had a grandly named 'Belling Classic Double Eighty' up until the early 1980's with the fluorescent lamp in the back panel. The 4 spiral hob rings use to fail regularly - probably from the hammering it received from my mother. They usually developed a hot spot over where the 3 legged support contacted the ring before failing - some would blow a hole through the outer covering. One ring failed spectacularly one evening with an almighty green flash - it blew a half inch hole through a copper backed frying pan.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 11:53 pm   #14
alanworland
Heptode

I cut all the cable from our old cooker, it was silicone insulated in a variety of colours and has proved very useful!

Alan
Old 17th Oct 2014, 10:36 am   #15
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyperion View Post
Its just that replace rather than repair goes against the (general) grain of the forum, where repairs are not over expensive and within the competence of the person with the equipment.
Truth is, I've been planning to get a new cooker for some time: this one came with me from my old house, and it doesn't sit happily with the design of the new kitchen. I've been putting up with its gradual degradation and deferring replacement just because I've got other [work-related] issues higher up the round-tuit stack.

Even if I did repair it, I'd probably throw it out within a year anyway. It's easier/quicker [and more economically-sound] to simply bring the replacement forward - and then get the greater functionality, enjoyment (and probably energy-saving too) benefits of the new one sooner.
Old 17th Oct 2014, 2:58 pm   #16

A bit OT, but if it will fit get a range style cooker (two ovens, five rings, plate warmer etc.), makes life so much easier.

Old 17th Oct 2014, 5:07 pm   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

Trade price on a 1350W boiling ring is around £3

My mum's Belling Classic Super 50 had nothing replaced since she bought it in 1964 and it's only recently been traded in for a ceramic hob.
The classic super 50 had a blanking plate where the fluorescent light would fit on more upmarket models.
Old 18th Oct 2014, 8:32 pm   #18
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If anyone wants any bits from said cooker beforem it goes to recycling let me know. I'll happily pull control-knobs, switches, rings and suchlike and send them on to deserving causes for the cost-of-postage.
Old 31st May 2015, 6:16 pm   #19
happytiger
No Longer a Member

I was after a new electric cooker following a kitchen refit. I was astonished that no one stocks a radiant ring cooker. In the end I settled for a solid plate, however this antiquated method is terrible, slow and poor response etc.
The radiant rings were quick and easily controlled and last ages.
I have been tempted to import from the USA.
So your radiant ring cooker will never be replaced, just repair and keep!
Old 31st May 2015, 6:38 pm   #20
Radio Wrangler

Back in 2000 I redid my kitchen and built in an AEG ceramic hob. It lasted 11 years before the transformer which made 5v to power the touch switches went OC on the primary. It turned out to be an embedded thermal fuse. Could I get a spare transformer? Nope. Other transformers of the right ratings I could find, but nothing in the small size needed. Time was pressing and Christmas getting closer. So in the end the hob unit got replaced. The halogen units went as spares to someone tith a similar hob. The replacement was a Miele induction job.

Wow! as they say.

Turning down a boiling pan of milk is faster than gas. There isn't the hot gas or support to under the pan to contend with. Wasted energy seems less. I did have to find a flat-bottomed steel wok, though.

David