UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2014, 3:30 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Electrolux Z2010 vacuum

One wire goes to the switched live; the other wire goes to neutral. If the mains lead has three cores, then the metalwork of the motor should be earthed.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 5:36 pm   #22
ITAM805
Nonode

Many thanks AJS, kind of obvious really but I thought I should ask first!
Old 15th Aug 2014, 7:13 pm   #23
julie_m
Dekatron

What I can't understand is what that third wire on the original motor does Ordinarily, a series-wound motor is electrically symmetrical about the armature. The inductance of the stator windings gives it some self-suppression (and it needs all the suppression it can get). Changing the stator field strength should alter the speed, as the armature is cutting more or fewer lines of flux; but the use of three wires implies it's going to be an unbalanced load.
Old 17th Aug 2014, 4:23 pm   #24
ITAM805
Nonode

Just to say, that after some time spent trying figure out the jigsaw puzzle of bits, the Electrolux is back together again and lives!

Many thanks again guys
Old 17th Aug 2014, 5:32 pm   #25
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done.

It's a nice feeling when you do something like this. I bet you wonder why you ever doubted whether it was worth repairing when you see it up-and-running again.

Nick.
Old 17th Aug 2014, 7:37 pm   #26
mark pirate
Dekatron

Well done on getting it working again, much more worthwhile than replacing it with some nasty modern thing!

Mark
Old 21st Aug 2014, 12:54 am   #27
Maarten
Dekatron

It would help to see where the wires of the old one are attached.
Old 4th Aug 2015, 3:39 pm   #28
ITAM805
Nonode

hi all

well they dont make em like they used to! My new motor, less than a year old yesterday suddenly stalled with plumes of stinking white smoke and a very unhealthy grinding noise

On pulling the motor I quickly found that the brush carriers had worked their way down and are touching the commutators, what absolute rubbish, considering the original motor was 27 years old when it died !

Luckily I quickly switched it off so there isn't much damage. Now I need to find a way of retaining the carriers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0784 (Large).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	111399  
Old 4th Aug 2015, 5:54 pm   #29
PaulR
Dekatron

Is there any way you could drill through the outer(plastic?) cover into the top of the brush holder towards the edge and put in a small self tapping screw in such a way that it doesn't interfere with the brush itself?
Old 4th Aug 2015, 5:59 pm   #30
ITAM805
Nonode

thanks for the reply Paul.

Sadly it seems that the motor is wrecked, even after I cleaned the comms and bodged the carriers with cable ties, it's barely ran and smoked
Old 5th Aug 2015, 12:32 am   #31
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

If it's less than a year you should still be just under warranty.

As for motors, the genuine electrolux replacement motor I bought (linked to earlier in thread) is still working well. It's been about two years since then, and it has been very heavily used in that time. No signs of any problems, so I'd still recommend it.
Old 5th Aug 2015, 9:27 am   #32
sp10mk11
Octode

I am not sure I understand what you are asking, if you want to connect the two wires from the new motor, if the on/off switch is a single pole, then one of the wires (either) can be connected to the on/off switch and the other to the neautral on the mains lead.

If it is a double pole switch then connect the two wires from the motor to the two connectors on the switch

I am glad you have saved this excellent machine, like a lot of others on here I run vintage/old appliances.

When I worked in re-cycling the amount of modern cyclone cleaners (all makes) that came in with burnt out motors bits broken off etc etc was depressing but as some one mentioned earlier Sebo Nilfisk where very rare to see and I think if I had to buy new it would be one of those makes.

Anyway good luck
Gary
Old 5th Aug 2015, 10:23 am   #33
ITAM805
Nonode

thanks for the info Okto1984, I have contacted the company and am awaiting a reply regarding a refund, as you say it should be under warranty. I will get the motor you recommended when I get the refund....

Thanks Gary, my question regarding the wiring was just me having a 'foggy' moment. The motor had been running for almost a year, before it went down
Old 5th Aug 2015, 1:49 pm   #34
sp10mk11
Octode

arghhh...Foggy bit..........you wait till you are older still like me I live in an almost permanent fog

Gary
Old 5th Aug 2015, 2:12 pm   #35
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Sounds like you got lucky with the warranty at least. My bad stuff tends to break when it's about 54 weeks old.

The original electrolux motors have excellent longevity (mine was over 35 years old when it starting running badly), so I hope this new electrolux one is similar quality. It's quite visually different, and higher wattage, but otherwise fits perfectly. You have to be careful though, several sites are listing what I believe to be a pattern part as 'electrolux' when they really just mean compatible. I'm curious who made your replacement motor that has failed?
Old 5th Aug 2015, 3:46 pm   #36
ITAM805
Nonode

Quote:
Sounds like you got lucky with the warranty at least
well at present theyr'e saying they wont refund me as it's been working for nearly a year!

What appears to have happened is the brush carriers are moulded into the plastic housing which screws to the motor. But it seems to be just a push fit with nothing to stop the carriers from moving up or down hence they have both moved down little by little until they touched the commutators
Closed Thread