UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2012, 1:09 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default 1936 Hoover Junior 375

I thought you might like this picture of my 1936 Hoover Junior 375 in what could have been an original setting from the period. [I must stop living like this and drag myself into the 21st century] It performs 100% and people double up with laughter when they see the cloth bag inflate almost like an air ship from the same period. Quality machinery. Goblin used to be just a few miles away at Leatherhead. Houses were built on the site in the very early 80's. They supplied the smaller dealer with a quality product as Hoover were a bit snobbish similar to the superior [Ha! Ha!] HMV with their agencies. Vac Trix were another popular brand of cleaner in the 30's/40's. It was all so simple then. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoover 375.jpg
Views:	1680
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	62464  
Old 12th Feb 2012, 1:44 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1936 Hoover Junior 375

With it's original cloth bag too, which makes all the difference with respect to appearance. I think that was one of the first Hoover models to have the front mounted, side connected bag. I've got a 475 from the same period but that has the older style of rear mounted bag.

These are brilliant little machines; convenient size and nowhere near as noisy as many of the modern machines.
Old 12th Feb 2012, 2:05 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
These are brilliant little machines; convenient size and nowhere near as noisy as many of the modern machines.
I will second that, they are also lighter than some modern machines, I wish I had kept my 1930's hoover now.

I will definitely be on the look out for a restorable one to replace my noisy, power hungry modern plastic one.

Mark
Old 12th Feb 2012, 2:24 pm   #4
Stubble
Pentode

You can’t beat the classic machines, for build quality and engineering, coupled with the ease of repairing and uncomplicated design which surpasses today’s meagre offerings of poor injection moulded brittle plastic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0933.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	62468  
Old 12th Feb 2012, 4:10 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
I will definitely be on the look out for a restorable one to replace my noisy, power hungry modern plastic one.
The 375 was replaced by the 119 and it's now-scarce 1224 variant. The 119 can still be found at the likes of boot sales and, sometimes, in what few little independant vacuum cleaner shops still survive. Same goes for the later 13xx series Juniors but they were plastic cased, a little noisier and required the paper dustbag which the earlier ones didn't. All models turn up on eBay of course but many are, understandably, 'collect only'.

Rewiring, which is almost always necessary now, can be fiddly at the motor end. Spare parts, especially for the 119 onwards, can still be obtained. The exception is beater brushes for the 119/1224 which are now extremely difficult to get hold of in NOS form.

Ignoring the 1224 there were two variants of the 119; earlier ones with red lettering on the fan cover and later ones with gold lettering. The colour was changed to mark the death of King George VI and the pre 1952 versions are rare and command a higher price - if being sold by someone in the know.

For all Junior models, complete and original tool sets are difficult to obtain, especially the hoses, but they do turn up from time to time.

So that's the score. If you happy with a 119, or later, Junior you shouldn't have much bother finding one. If, however, you want a 370 or 375 and you can fine one that's not too much of a wreck then go for it. Oh and if people find, as HKS noted, the inflating cloth bag to be hilarious then do what I do - just feel sorry for them .
Old 12th Feb 2012, 6:00 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Found another 375 in my 'stores'. It is very clean and original but has been fitted with a 13amp plug and a white one into the bargain! Runs but will require motor bearings as there is a lot of play at the spindle end. Where does all this 'junk' come from? I swear it multiplies overnight. My summer house has never been used for the purpose and appears to have become a sort of retirement home for obsolete electrical junk! Picture No.2 for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	375 Number 2.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	62473  
Old 12th Feb 2012, 7:01 pm   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thanks for the info Darren, I have seen them turn up at boot sales. I do prefer the earlier models as the plastic ones have no appeal for me, no doubt I will find one soon.
John, that looks a bit like my garage.

Mark
Old 13th Feb 2012, 8:37 pm   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

We need a forum outing to your summerhouse, John.

In summer ...

I'm getting tempted with all this talk of old vacs.
Old 13th Feb 2012, 9:14 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That sounds a good idea Mike. Must arrange something when it's warm and sunny. Plenty of space here so no problem parking. It's a bit cold here at the moment but I'll keep that one on the back burner. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-2-2012 (5).jpg
Views:	370
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	62528  
Old 9th May 2015, 12:02 pm   #10
JudithJ
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
Hi Mark

I have one if you are still looking for one to restore please contact me. Hoover Junior Model 375 s/n 676108

Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 4:00 pm   #11
Nicklyons2
Octode

And I've a very scruffy 'barn find' one which still has original bag - if anyone is interested please contact me.
Nick
Old 11th May 2015, 10:12 am   #12
sp10mk11
Octode

These are all fantastic machines to use and live with, I have 475 and constellation for down stairs, and a 375 and 119 for upstairs, they are all in excellent condition with original bags, and the performance cannot be faulted, as already said they are easy to maintain and reliable, the sweeper brushes for all of them do come up occasionally and are expensive but well worth getting.
I have had a few modern cyclone machines they felt cheaply made and made such an awful noise I would not bother them again.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1642.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	108055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 090.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	108056  
Old 12th May 2015, 8:56 pm   #13
whyperion
Hexode

When I have cleaned up the junk I might have a go at Nick's upright, I will also post pictures of some spare beater brushes that must have come of mum's older hoover and similar uprights that I dont think I will use again - unless dad chucked them out of the garage- they should be in the kitchen drawer, so I hope they will be of use to someone as I cannot remember the model/s.
Old 15th May 2015, 9:21 pm   #14
shaun harris
Tetrode

hi guys i have both the 119 and the 1224 juniors both are looking for new homes if anyone is interested??
Old 17th Aug 2015, 12:31 pm   #15
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

I know it's a long time since you posted this message, but I sincerely hope you haven't dragged yourself into the present century. I still use my Hoover 375 and it performs beautifully. I am becoming concerned that the drive belt is getting a bit scruffy and is not long for this world. Have you managed to source these, or an equivalent? There are plenty of belts for the 119 but I am not sure whether they are interchangeable. My belt measures about 60mm outside diameter.
Best Wishes, and let's carry on being sad!!
Geoff.
Old 20th Aug 2015, 3:09 pm   #16
lynnleeds
Retired Dormant Member

I have a lovely 1963 Hoover which I adore. Can't beat the old machines.
Hoover senior 652 rocking along in the 2000's

Last edited by AC/HL; 20th Aug 2015 at 3:50 pm. Reason: Readability
Old 20th Aug 2015, 9:50 pm   #17
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Maniac View Post
I am becoming concerned that the drive belt is getting a bit scruffy and is not long for this world. Have you managed to source these, or an equivalent?
Hello,

The old Juniors seem to just go on and on. I have got a U1012 and U1036. By today's standards the motors are very energy efficient and do a great job cleaning carpets.

I am pretty sure that the 375 belt is smaller than the one used in the later 119/1334/1346/U1012 etc.

Another tip with the round belt Juniors is only to use genuine belts. You will be lucky to get a week out of some of the pattern ones before they snap. I usually get over 12 months use out of a genuine belt and even then it only needs replacing because it has stretched. I think that the same applies to Hoover Seniors that use round belts. It doesn't really matter with the later Juniors that use a flat belt, U1036, U1104 etc.
Old 21st Aug 2015, 12:48 pm   #18
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Thanks for that Fidelity Fan, I thought this was the case mine measures 6" outside diameter whereas I think the 119 is approaching 7".
Best Wishes,
Geoff.
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 5:47 pm   #19
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Just noticed a stupid mistake in my last post (21st August), the belt diameter should of course read cm and not inches. Sorry about that.