UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2015, 3:37 pm   #1

Default Magneta Clock

My house clock needed a weeny adjustment, so for you enjoyment is a picture of it open...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magneta.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	109938  

Old 25th Jun 2015, 3:42 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Magneta

Nice. Do you run a clock loop from it? I have a Gents master clock, but no slaves. I only run it occasionally as Mrs B. doesn't like the 'thunk' every thirty seconds as the half-minute contacts close.

https://www.***********/photos/russel...7618798466477/

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 25th Jun 2015, 4:12 pm   #3

Yes I do, the one minute pulse dial on the clock proper is GMT, the other four 1/2 minute dials around the house are at local time. I must admit to cheating a bit, I inject a small 1/2Hz signal derived from MSF into the impulse magnet to keep it 'in sync'. Poor thing get confused with leap seconds and MSF downtimes though. My first master clock was a Synchronome copy I made and then added a vacuum pendulum, the hit and miss sync is what upset SHMBO. That clock is now in a small museum (http://www.clocktrust.com great place I am glad it is there) where I got the Magneta from.

A picture of it in the kitchen before it went...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	synch.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	109939  

Old 25th Jun 2015, 4:20 pm   #4

Forgot the link to my old clock.

http://www.huwswebthing.talktalk.net/sync.html

Old 25th Jun 2015, 4:58 pm   #5
Hampus
Pentode

Wow, that's an amazing thing you built merlinmaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I only run it occasionally as Mrs B. doesn't like the 'thunk' every thirty seconds as the half-minute contacts close.
I have silenced my LM Ericsson master by putting heat shrink or small pieces of bicycle inner tube on the noise sources where metal hits against metal. Also fitted car sound damping mat between the clock and the wall. Don't know if these tricks is applicable on your clock though.

Also try to make the door well sealed to keep the noise inside and dust outside.
Old 25th Jun 2015, 6:13 pm   #6
matthewhouse
Octode

Outstanding!
Old 25th Jun 2015, 10:34 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
'Also fitted car sound damping mat between the clock and the wall. Don't know if these tricks is applicable on your clock though.'
Unfortunately, the wall upon which my clock is mounted acts like a sounding board! It's a breeze-block dividing wall. I haven't done anything with the clock bar get it going, so it just sits there, looking nice.

manana...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 27th Jun 2015, 4:27 pm   #8
8 Tracker
Hexode

Default Re: Magneta Clock

Nice pictures, chaps. I too have a Gents' C7 master and a C69 programmer driven off it. The clock is in the kitchen and is not fixed to the wall at all, just sat on the floor. Amazingly it keeps excellent time, despite all the warnings in the instructions about fixing securely to a solid wall. Even so, I can still hear the clunk in my bedroom on the floor above on the opposite side of the house. I don't notice it any more.

The programmer has the mercury-switch bell timer in it. I have connected a capacitor, diode and resistor across the pulse terminals. The cap charges gradually over an hour, stealing a little current from the coil. I have pins inserted at the hour between 8am and 10pm. Every hour, on weekdays only, the programmer emits a loud raspberry as the small buzzer is connected and discharges the cap. This startles many guests to the household.

At the weekend, the buzzer falls silent as the day-of-the-week wheel opens the series contacts. The Monday morning 8am buzzer is extra-loud as the cap has had all weekend to charge and not just 1 hour.

Mark.
Closed Thread