UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2011, 1:12 am   #1
lastx33
Retired Dormant Member

Default Russell Hobbs CP1 Coffee Percolator

Hi. I've just acquired a Russell Hobbs CP1 percolator which I believe was the world's first automatic coffee maker. It has a number of settings - from left to right: Auto; 1; 2, 3, Non Auto. It seems to be working and I have tried it set in positions 1 and 2 which I assume are used to set the duration of brewing hence the coffee strength. I have trawled the internet looking for instructions without success. Does anyone here know what the Auto and Non Auto positions are for or have some instructions they could link to? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 1:37 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Russell Hobbs CP1 Coffee Percolator

The numbered positions were indeed for coffee strength. The CP1 was also able to keep the coffee hot once it had brewed, presumably via a bimetallic switch and I think the Auto/Non auto setting was something to do with that.
Old 15th Jun 2011, 1:12 am   #3
lastx33
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Darren. I think you are right about the numbers being for coffee strength. Just puzzled by the auto and non-auto settings. When switched to auto from one of the numbered settings I can hear a click then it seems to switch off. I will try it on non-auto which I suspect will keep percolating until the unit is switched off.
Old 29th Sep 2011, 11:21 pm   #4
CP1user
Retired Dormant Member

I have CP1 instructions. Key points: suggests min 1 pint max 2 pints water; don't overfill the coffee container (max 3/4 full). The control: the choice of auto 1-3 affects length of time water filters through the coffee after it has been heated. Suggests trial and error but generally 1 pint, set on 2, 2 pints set on 3. A of Auto position is shortest filter time, 3 longest. The light is on till coffee made. The coffee stays hot till last cup poured. Once the pot is emptied and has cooled it should reset to chosen filter length, if it does not, move lever to non auto then back to your normal setting on auto. Do not select non auto and forget it - it will not automatically switch off in this position so could boil dry. The non auto function enables a second pot of coffeee to be made straight after a first, you don't have to let it cool and reset. Also use this position for stronger brew.
Old 18th Oct 2011, 12:50 am   #5
lastx33
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks CP1user. That's most helpful.
Old 7th Jun 2015, 7:36 pm   #6
ConaJoe
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you CP1user for those CP-1 key points. I recently purchased a CP-1 and I am very happy with it.

Can anyone tell me what the reset switch is for, on the bottom of the CP-1? I know that the automatic cutoff mechanism can be reset by sliding the coffee strength selector towards 'non auto' and back again, but the reset switch doesn't seem to do anything, at least in my experience.

Thanks very much in advance,
ConaJoe
Old 8th Jun 2015, 2:57 pm   #7
Gulliver
Hexode

It used to be common to find "percolator blend" coffee in supermarkets but no more.

Percs work best with quite coarsely ground beans, not the fine ones used in modern filter machines. I have found that buying coffee beans and hand grinding (or use an electric spice mill) works great. Though I haven't used a Russel Hobbs model for years, I have a modern Dualit and an American Farberware "stove top" percolator when out camping
Old 15th Jun 2015, 10:57 pm   #8
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
It used to be common to find "percolator blend" coffee in supermarkets but no more.
I have a percolator, and I haven't seen percolator coffee in a long time either. I kind of stopped reading the packets anyway a while back and started buying anything I felt like trying. So far it has worked perfectly with everything, so I wouldn't worry too much about the brand/grind really. Anything will work, and you'll find one or more you particularly enjoy sooner or later. However, the Sainsbury's house blend in the red packet always seems to get compliments from visitors. Whatever I use, I always stick one heaped desert spoon per mug in the basket. Once it stops perking, wait one minute at least before pouring slowly to allow the fine grounds and dust to settle to the bottom of the pot. This last step really helps.

Not sure about the controls however, as by the time my Russell Hobbs 3008 was made (60s/70s?) the controls had all vanished. It just starts when you plug it in and stops when the light comes on.
Old 16th Jun 2015, 8:25 am   #9
regentone001
Heptode

Hi
I have a collection of CP1 and CP2 percolators. The bodies of some of the CP2 variety were made by Wedgwood.ie the "Glen mist" pattern which matched the Wedgwood/Susie Cooper designed dinner service etc.
ConaJoe I think the reset button on the CP1 is there to reset the pot if it has been allowed to boil dry. It stops it overheating.
Steve
Old 16th Jun 2015, 9:38 am   #10
Gulliver
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okto1984 View Post
Once it stops perking, wait one minute at least before pouring slowly to allow the fine grounds and dust to settle to the bottom of the pot.
I coarsely grind beans to avoid any fine grounds getting into the coffee. The old "percolator blend" coffee one used to find in supermarkets was a coarser grind that didn't make it's way through the slits in the basket.

My parents had an old Russell Hobbs that lasted for decades but I can't remember the controls either. It was brought out every year for Christmas for about 30 years and it was the only coffee I ever liked.
Old 16th Jun 2015, 11:32 am   #11
ConaJoe
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regentone001 View Post
ConaJoe I think the reset button on the CP1 is there to reset the pot if it has been allowed to boil dry.
Hi Steve,
Thank you very much for this information!

Cheers, ConaJoe
Old 16th Jun 2015, 5:11 pm   #12
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
I coarsely grind beans to avoid any fine grounds getting into the coffee. The old "percolator blend" coffee one used to find in supermarkets was a coarser grind that didn't make it's way through the slits in the basket.
Hi Gulliver,
Another option is to line the basket with some filter paper. You can just stick one of the cone filters intended for a drip machine in, using the post in the centre of the basket to punch a hole in it so that it fits. I believe there were once filters made to put in these machines. The let it settle method is easy though, and there's always a few ml in the bottom that's never used (well, I pour it in the house plants when it's cold for the nitrogen), so it doesn't make extra waste.

I also think the Russell Hobbs percolators make some of the best coffee, but I get the impression percolator coffee is an acquired taste. I've never actually tried to grind my own beans, does it make a big difference to a freshly opened packet of ground coffee?
Old 16th Jun 2015, 8:29 pm   #13
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, coffee ground immediately before use retains a much greater proportion of volatile oils, and tastes (and smells) very different from ready-ground.
I use an early '70s Moulinex mill, with no interlocks , which I suppose could easily feature in this section.
Old 16th Jun 2015, 8:47 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Grind immediately before brewing will indeed result in a rather 'fuller' taste.

A disc of fine filter-paper [ the ones I use are scarfed from the organic-chemistry lab at work ] in the bottom of the basket will help stop random bits-of-bean ending up in drinkers' cups.

You don't want to give them 'grounds' for complaint, now do you? [Pun-police - arrest this man!]
Old 17th Jun 2015, 8:25 am   #15
Gulliver
Hexode

I used to have a 70s Moulinex inherited from my grandmother for grinding spices to make curries in the 90s.

These days I use a hand coffee grinder bought from Amazon as we do a fair bit of percolating when off camping.
Closed Thread