UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2014, 10:38 am   #1
Richard675
Pentode

Default GPO No 12A Multimeter circuit

I have been given one of those nice GPO test meters in the leather case. I was wondering if anyone has a circuit diagram please?

I wonder what range does the 15v battery activate? I currently only have the 1.5v installed and only the 0.2M Ohm range shows signs of life but won't zero. Do you need both batteries in place for the resistance ranges to work at all?

The passive ranges all appear to work OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2886.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	100565  
Old 24th Nov 2014, 5:21 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: GPO No 12A Multimeter circuit

You shouldn't need both batteries, the 15V one is only for the 20M range.
It's probably been damaged by reading voltage whilst being set to resistance. Have you looked inside for damage.
You probably realise that this is a customised GEC Minitest.
Old 24th Nov 2014, 5:49 pm   #3
Richard675
Pentode

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the GEC connection. In fact I have never seen one of these meters before!

Have yet to look at components, just been cleaning it up, gluing the glass back which was fouling the movement.

The one working resistance range varies with the adjustment pot but only moves about 10% of scale so no chance of getting it to zero ohms yet. (1.5v battery is OK)
Old 24th Nov 2014, 8:46 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

TBH I only use the resistance ranges of Analogue meters for continuity testing. Resistance measurements are one thing that Digital meters are much better for.
Closed Thread