UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2014, 6:37 pm   #1
Guitarist28
Heptode

Default Avo 2 panel valve tester - zero control.

Hi All,
I have now restored by 2 panel tester to what appears working order. It does seem that the zero control is a little too sensitive and I not able to zero the dial correctly. Its either too much above the 0 level the on the dial scale or too far below it. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be (I have not replaced any internal resistors as those that I tested where not far away from their original values and within tolerance).

Many thanks

Rob

PS I've attached some pics of my rewiring of the valve selector switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 panel rotary 1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	99563   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 panel rotary 2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	99564   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 panel cap 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	99565  
Old 1st Nov 2014, 7:28 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Avo 2 panel valve tester - zero control.

Do you mean the initial adjustment of the meter with the set screw ?, if so then provided it has not been damaged or relocated incorrectly if the meter has been out it has to be a hairspring issue.
Old 1st Nov 2014, 10:17 pm   #3
Guitarist28
Heptode

Hi Stephen,
Apologies, I should have been more specific. Its the set zero control. On my Avo VCM mk1 I can adjust the zero very easily although on the 2 panel tester it does not appear to want to set at zero, being either slightly above or below the zero indicated on dial measure irrespective to how much I adjust the set zero pot.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Kind Regards

Rob
Old 1st Nov 2014, 10:24 pm   #4
Freya
Octode

Have you checked the unique resistance assembly under the control for worn through sections, have you tried a variety of types of valve, also try something like a double triode on each anode setting and see if its the same.
I do still wonder if there is an issue with the meter having a binding spot near zero

Last edited by Freya; 1st Nov 2014 at 10:30 pm.
Old 1st Nov 2014, 10:36 pm   #5
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Rob,

If the windings on wire wound pots are pushed along the track by the wiper then it makes adjustment very difficult. Look around the back as you move the wiper.

Peter
Old 18th Nov 2014, 2:15 am   #6
Harry40
Retired Dormant Member

I've had a look at this control on my tester. I was wondering if any one had come up with an alternative zeroing design using a single wire wound pot that could replace the dual track system should it fail. The AVO system has two tracks that are swiped together. As far as I can make out the 20V zeroing circuit has a 1.5K value to stop the Va supply bypassing the meter through the zeroing diode circuit and passing down through the valve under test.
Without the 1.5K and only having a low zero volts when testing a small signal valve the valve could pass a current from the Va supply that is bypassing the moving coil meter and thus give erroneous results.
A large drain valve would need more zeroing current from the 20V supply to zero the meter and this should swamp out any leakage from the Va supply circuit.
Closed Thread