UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2011, 3:12 am   #1
highlander
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bell & Howell 652. Jones plug conversion.

Any help on this little problem would be appreciated.

I recently acquired an old Bell & Howell 652 without a mains lead so I set about converting the old 5 pin Jones plug to a 3 pin socket connector like what is used for mains connectors on todays computers.

When I connected up the new power supply cable and switched on the motor ran, the amplifier worked but the projector lamp did not so I tried it on a separate 12v supply and it worked ok.

I have connected the return from the lamp to the neutral on the socket and wonder if there is anything that the old Jones plug had inside that has been missed out. I forgot to mention that the old plug had a wire on each of the four tags except the round pin in the middle.
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 11:27 am   #2
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bell & Howell 652. Jones plug conversion.

Hi

I have only just found this website www.cinerdistan.co.uk.
I have sent several emails to Martyn Stevens and he has been very helpful. He seems to be fully occupied restoreing and repairing projectors.

Regards

ALAN
Old 24th Feb 2011, 2:58 am   #3
highlander
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the link, I will send him an email later in the week.
Old 24th Feb 2011, 4:29 pm   #4
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Hi

Let us know what Martyn says. I have several B&H projectors ,amongst others.

Regards

ALAN i
Old 24th Feb 2011, 4:32 pm   #5
peter_sol
Octode

The Jones plug on the chassis has 4 pins so that if the external step up transformer is used, the lamp voltage can be controlled independantly. In the line socket with the mains plug on, 2 of the pins are connected together.
The lead from the lamp to the mains goes to the mains side of the fuse not neutral
The other side of the lamp goes to the switching.
Hope this makes sense.
Old 16th Mar 2011, 12:11 pm   #6
highlander
Retired Dormant Member

Hi guys, sorry for delay in replying, another old projector entered my life..

No joy with Martyn as he is more mechanically inclined,

Peter, The projector lamp is a 24v halogen and I wonder if what you said still applies.
Old 16th Mar 2011, 2:00 pm   #7
wd40addict
Octode

The connector pins are numbered as follows:

13 is ground/earth, 14 is neutral, 16 is motor live and 15 is lamp live.

Note this is for the high voltage lamp machines. But they may well have stuck to the same conventions with the low voltage machines.

If you find an anonymous lead do check before use as Ampro used the same connector, but wired it differently!!!!!!

Mains wiring errors can be lethal. If in any doubt please consult an electrician or someone with suitable qualifications.

Regards,

Paul
Old 16th Mar 2011, 6:49 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

Am I missing something here, or are you using an IEC380 connector ("like what is used for mains connectors on todays computers") as a 3-pin connector - one pin motor/amplifier, one pin lamp, one pin common?

If so, then there's no earth connection, and, the 'earth' pin on the IEC380 connector is used for a purpose other than earth. While this will work it could be really confusing and possibly dangerous if picked up by somebody else who plugs a 'normal' mains lead in and switches on.
Closed Thread