UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2019, 8:08 pm   #1
Johnbarn
Pentode

Default Hacker Sovereign 3

I purchased a Sovereign 3 last weekend at a car jumble to go with my Heralds and Sovereign 2. I have cleaned it, inspected it and powered it up. The tuning scale is clear and intact. The battery case for the 8x1.5 cells was badly corroded and needed respringing but the radio is now working well on all 3 bands.
The serial number is 14378 and it has a black loudspeaker with a broad “U” shaped yoke. IFT canisters are “Weyrad”. Tuning on FM is accurate in accordance with the scale but doesn’t go high enough to get Classic FM in N I which is on 101.9. The FM board has a clear Perspex cover and there are various tuneable slugs and trimmers which might alter the FM coverage. Which one should tweek? I was able to do this on the VHF Herald a couple of years ago but don’t want to try anything without knowing what I’m doing.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
John
Old 18th Sep 2019, 6:43 am   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 3

The Hacker RP73 service information on this site seems to be missing the FM tuner component layout drawing.
The Radio Museum has the information https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/hacker..._rp72rp_7.html.
Schematic pages download are free but limited for guests so I can advise that the FM tuner layout drawing is schematic no 10. Scroll down the thumbnail images of the schematics and the one you want is immediately before you get to the "next Schematics" button.

I hope I am right here but I believe the FM oscillator is L3, make a careful note of where it is set now. Tune to the highest frequency radio station you can receive and slowly turn the core one way or the other until just off the channel and then retune the radio to the station. Note if you had to retune down the band, if you did then that is the direction to turn to increase the frequency coverage.
Retune the radio to the top of the FM band and continue to turn the core of L3 till you find Classic FM..
But count the total turns so you can put it back if you need to.
L3 maybe clearly marked on the circuit board so you may not need the layout drawing.
Mike
Old 18th Sep 2019, 7:32 pm   #3
Johnbarn
Pentode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 3

Thank you Mike, winding out the osc core one and a half turns has brought in Classic FM perfectly. It was marked L3 as you suggested. I have it secured in its new position with a sliver of tape in case I want to restore it to the original place at some future time. Very many thanks.
Closed Thread