UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2018, 10:25 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Weller RIP

After some 30 years of neglect (around 10years at work before it was scrapped and 20 odd years in my tender care), my Weller TCP 24V stand/power unit expired tonight in a cloud of foul smelling smoke worthy of a Rifa X-cap. Diagnosis was shorted turns in TX primary brought about by unknown years of water dripping onto it via a crack in the case running across under the sponge.

All was not lost, however, an equally elderly but less hardworked Antex 25W came to the rescue along with a possibly as old but NOS RS207-251 50VA 24V transformer.

(ab)Normal service was resumed in about 30mins after the RS TX (I'm sure I've got one somewhere) was exhumed from the last place I looked of course (in plain view on the workshop radiator ).
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th Aug 2018, 12:00 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Weller RIP

I went for years with a TCP1 powered from a nice Gardners varnished transformer in a large pseudo-tupperware tub that once held catering coleslaw!

I made the iron by scrounging a few dead ones, and the rest was out my junk box.

Zero-cost soldering! recycling!

David
Old 25th Aug 2018, 12:34 am   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

My first TCP1 was a really early one that was also built from bits of broken ones back in the 1980s.
The PSU is a transformer with bits of plywood screwed directly to the mounting frame on all but one face. The transformer is about twice the size of the one in the PU3 so it does not overheat in the small housing.
I have lost count of the number of repairs I have done on it.
Even the handle has been fixed with epoxy a few times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	168038  
Old 25th Aug 2018, 1:51 am   #4
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

There was a safety alert about those TCP units over 30 years ago to fit a metal plate under the sponge to avoid damage to the casing by poking holes in it with a hot soldering iron tip when using the sponge and subsequent electric shocks when watering it!
Old 25th Aug 2018, 2:22 am   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

That must make such a stink that even an idiot would not do it.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 4:43 am   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

My Weller TCP died last year. After 25 years and probably over a million solder joints, the element had finally burnt out. Of course spares are available so I bought a couple. One to go in the iron and the other for a spare. I then realised that if the replacement elements last as long as the original, I will never have to buy another, I will be gone first.
Old 30th Aug 2018, 4:38 pm   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Presumably in the seventies the MoD liked the TCP iron but were not impressed by the Weller power unit as Farnell was commissioned to produce a more robust version. Please see attached images of my daily iron. Note the metal case, multiple fuses and chunky Bulgin plug. Inside there are no push-fit connectors and the transformer looks like it would happily power half a dozen irons simultaneously. All pretty bomb proof I guess.

By the way, the iron's cable is a silicone replacement and the stand is borrowed from Antex.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCP Farnell.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	168398   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCP Label.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	168399  
Old 30th Aug 2018, 4:49 pm   #8
barrymagrec
Octode

I've been using Wellers for more than forty five years, mostly TCP1's with PSU's going back to the original with a terminal block on the front, I have had elements, switches cables and handles fail. Never a PSU.....
Old 30th Aug 2018, 5:18 pm   #9
ajgriff
Nonode

I imagine the MoD was more concerned about the robustness of the Weller case and the flimsy internal connectors rather than the transformer itself. All to do with dropping equipment from aircraft etc I should think.

Alan
Old 31st Aug 2018, 9:47 am   #10
lesmw0sec
Octode

I have been using a Weller for donkey's years, but never had the base/transformer, the power being supplied by one of those "temporary" lash-ups with an odd transformer and a generous helping of insulation tape. A few years ago I was eventually shamed into making a proper box for the transformer!
Old 31st Aug 2018, 11:20 am   #11
m0xte_chris
Retired Dormant Member

The Weller transformer enclosures are not very strong. For many years my main iron was a PS2+TCP combo with a healthy layer or duct tape around the seams where it had been knocked off the bench. The plastic clips instantly disintegrate and that's it for the enclosure. I can understand why the MoD did that.

I bought a new TCP kit a while ago as the old one's thermostat got sticky, the cable was disintegrating and the neon in the switch had blown so I kept leaving it on, plus all the duct tape was getting hairy. I was disappointed to find out the new TCP irons are rubbish now. They don't have the ability to maintain the tip temperature any more I assume due to the new tips. So I went through the tip compatibility and selected an old style tip for it. Unfortunately it didn't fit properly. So I suffered with it for a year until a few months ago when it got stuck to a ground plane for the 20th time in an hour. Enough.

So I did some research and got a Metcal PS900 kit and sold the new Weller. The Metcal kit was cheaper (initially, not sure about consumables yet!) than the new Weller irons as well and is a much better iron by far. Very happy. Sad that Weller's TCP like, a big part of my life, seem to have gone down the swanny though.

I'd keep to the old Weller TCPs if you're going to use them personally. Anything made recently is junk.
Old 31st Aug 2018, 10:33 pm   #12
FrankB
Heptode

I always added a fuse to the transformer on my unit.

The heating elements are almost impossible to find here, as well as the thermostats.
I must have 6-8 Weller stations now, left from my business. I keep removing parts to keep at least 2 working.

They apparently changed the composition of the tips, and they really don't last very long, even if I silver solder tin them. II was getting 2-3 yrs from the old tips and was lucky to get 3 months out of the new ones.
I always bought the 800F tips too. They heated the joint really quick and I never damaged the board with them like I did when I tried the lower temp tips. Last I bought a tip from the local (now defunct) jobber it cost 12.00! Found a jobber in Seattle area & they were $2.50 with a $10.00 min. I use the PTK tips. 800F.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 7:21 am   #13
newlite4
Octode

The new Weller power units are a devil to open up, akin to some sort of Chinese puzzle. The new tips are a bit odd too where just the point itself is replaced leaving the magnastst part with the iron. Progress I suppose.
Neil