UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2010, 12:17 am   #41
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Smile Re: Wootton Bassett 5/12/10

Thanks Steve,also wish i could be there but not a chance.So grab those bargains.Regards David
Old 5th Dec 2010, 8:46 pm   #42
thermionic
Heptode

Wink Re: Wootton Bassett 5/12/10

Many thanks once again for making an enjoyable day. Another very good turn out, despite the weather. The car park was like a skating rink - yea, I did have a tumble, holding a sig gen destined for the bring & buy. Apologies if you bought it & the valves had been dislodged! I thought auction prices generally low, so bargains abounded! SimonT.
Old 5th Dec 2010, 9:03 pm   #43
thermionic
Heptode

Talking Re: Wootton Bassett 5/12/10

It appears that the hall was booked by another group at 6pm, so it was a bit of a mad rush to get out at the end.................whoops........!
Old 5th Dec 2010, 9:33 pm   #44
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Wootton Bassett 5/12/10

Just got home after a longer-than-usual journey due to freezing fog.

A superb day and one of the longest auctions I have experienced.
(Full marks to Mike and his team.)

Bought less than usual but more than I planned.
Once again, a signal generator attached itself to me and found its way back here!
(That makes 27 (I think) sig gens I have.)
Old 5th Dec 2010, 9:54 pm   #45
audiomagpie
Heptode

Thanks again to the WB team, a most enjoyable afternoon. I didn't get there 'till about 2, the car conked north of Cirencester about 11am. After a two hour wait in a layby on the Fosse, they got me going again. I was in two minds whether to return home but made the right descision to carry on to WB.

....where I bought, in the auction, the complete set of Newnes R&TV servicing volumes, two Ferguson TV's- a small 14" one and a ruddy great big 21" one (it didn't look so big from the back of the hall) so plenty to keep me busy over the winters evenings.

Always nice to see and meet up with many of the forum members.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman

Last edited by audiomagpie; 5th Dec 2010 at 10:13 pm.
Old 5th Dec 2010, 10:42 pm   #46
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

An amazing day very enjoyable. Thanks to everyone involved and thanks to Andy for the lift. Bought three items a retro Bush TR130, (somebody had to buy it) a crt tester and a box of tv service manuals.
Old 6th Dec 2010, 9:43 am   #47
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to Mike and the team for making it another good and friendly meeting. Always good to meet up with friends.

Didn't actually buy anything but got rid of a few things and was involved in several FCA arrangments. Must take that Ultra for IanM out of the car.
Old 6th Dec 2010, 11:20 am   #48
SeanStevens
Octode

MANY thanks to all organisers, caterers, auctioneers, porters and Ian for navigational skills.

Also MANY thanks to the RADIO and TV postmen, who will be delivering a TV22 and a BUSH VHF 54 to some lucky recipients.

I had a mixed day - I got rid of some beautiful big radios in the auction for the price of 20 cigarettes.... But at least I did not have to lug them home!

I got a tray of rubbish which turned out to be solid gold. Throughout the auction, every other lot seemed to be a box of transistor radios

I ended up with one of these boxes and it reaped a good set of spares for a Hacker and a few absolute jems.

Again, thanks all.

SEAN
PS Car park was literally an ice rink. How the TV22 was not dropped is still a mystery.
Old 6th Dec 2010, 12:50 pm   #49
newlite4
Octode

Fantastic day out! I had concerns all last week that we may not make it, but the weather relented just for the weekend. So good to see so many members from far and wide, even Holland!!! A good day was had by all.
Neil
Old 6th Dec 2010, 1:58 pm   #50
Paul Stenning
Administrator

We had BVWS committee meeting on Saturday afternoon then we all went for a meal at a pub near Mike's home in the evening before staying in Swindon for the night ready for a very early start on Sunday - at the hall at 7am to get the auction and everything else set up.

It was a really good weekend, as always. I went with my friend Andy who bought several of the boxes of transistor radios in the auction which we just about managed to cram into the back of my car, It's a good job I didn't buy anything! I stayed at his for the night and came home this morning, along with some of the trannies to test and repair.

The auction wasn't the longest we've had but wasn't far off. Quite a lot of the items were from one estate sale I believe. Prices were a bit disappointing - a very nice round Ekco for just £460 which is about half what it would have made a few years ago.

We had a bit of drama with the hall PA system. Somehow a previous hirer had managed to burn out all four speakers in the hall, and we didn't know until we tried to use it. We borrowed a pair of speakers which were an auction lot and chopped up a couple of cables from the £1 box at the bring-and-buy to get us up and running again, otherwise poor Mike would have had to shout for the four hours! Sorry to those in the vicinity of the speakers who got deafened and to anyone near the back who couldn't hear as well as normal.

Overall a very good event and weekend. Thank you Mike and everyone else who made it a success.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th Dec 2010, 5:38 pm   #51
joe
Rest in Peace

I'd also like to say "Thanks" to Mike and his helpers for an excellent swapmeet. Despite having been a BVWS member for some years last Sunday was my first visit to Wootton Bassett, and it was well worth the mileage involved.
Thanks again.

Joe
Old 6th Dec 2010, 8:11 pm   #52
Dave Moll
Dekatron

A most enjoyable day. I managed to be just sufficeiently restrained in my purchases to make room for the various items I was collecting along the way on my journey home.

Owing to setting off later than expected, and three visits along the way taking longer than intended, I ended up getting home rather later than I would have liked - about 2:00am.

Incidentally, most of the items still left on the B&B stall at the end of Golborne had managed to find new homes by the end of WB.
Old 6th Dec 2010, 9:47 pm   #53
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Superb day out, didn't have to drive either (Thanks Sean) Got loads of battery eliminators to fix up as well. Thanks to all who organsed the event under quite difficult conditions. If I had more room I could have had enough radios to see me out! Hope that all those left over sandwiches found a good home.

Ian
Old 7th Dec 2010, 12:40 pm   #54
ajs37
Heptode

just to add my thanks to Mike and the gang - great day - bought far too much - including a Pye P26BQ (valve portable) in the auction (£5) - the attached photo shows what I found when I opened it up! The batteries are held on with velcro - 7 of the PP7s still have lots of volts - 3 were leaking and have been discarded - lovely bit of work, but I don't think I can afford to buy 10 PP7s to replace them!
Most of the fun in buying at the auction are the little surprises you find in them when you get home.
thanks again
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000937.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	43689  
Old 7th Dec 2010, 1:20 pm   #55
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Andy,
I've got one of those waiting to be done. I'ts good to know what's it's possible to get in there.
I'll save the picture for future reference
Alan
Old 7th Dec 2010, 6:11 pm   #56
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

I'd like to offer a huge thank you to Steve & Dilys for collecting the Ekco T311 on my behalf from WB.

Mike Phelan and I had a lovely trip over the border to Bolton to pick the TV up this morning. We set off at 9 well wrapped up with food etc expecting the worst on the M62 but as it turned out it was a most enjoyable journey in brilliant sunshine and I had good company in Mike. We were made most welcome and enjoyed a good natter before returning home.

Also many thanks to Grim Josef who offered to be back up transport if Steve & Dilys couldn't make it to the meeting.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 7th Dec 2010, 6:59 pm   #57
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

The one thing that has only had a brief mention and that I feel should be emphasised, is the catering.
Absolutely superb.!

The one problem I do have is that there are too many cakes, all of which look superb and taste even better.
And I wont mention the bacon sandwiches.

It is (almost) worth attending just for that!
Old 7th Dec 2010, 7:06 pm   #58
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stepney View Post
The one problem I do have is that there are too many cakes, all of which look superb and taste even better....
Marie Antoinette should have been there I sampled 3 of the excellent cakes.
Old 7th Dec 2010, 7:36 pm   #59
Guitarist28
Heptode

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how much lot 92 fetched at all please?

Many thanks

Rob
Old 7th Dec 2010, 11:48 pm   #60
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist28 View Post
Can anyone tell me how much lot 92 fetched at all please?
http://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/phot...es/s1h0647.jpg

I don't remember but I don't think it was very high. The cabinet had been repainted and was somewhat whiter and more matt than it would have been originally.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread