UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2006, 4:51 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default BVWS: Appropriate name?

This thread has raised the old topic of whether the BVWS name is still appropriate.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...3067#post63067

I strongly believe in the BVWS taking a very broad view of "wireless". I also believe that changing names is usually a bad idea unless there is some very good reason.

Here's an example of a bad reason. I belong to the IEE which has just become the IET. I disagree with that change since it doesn't seem to reflect the true purpose of the body. I feel the real reason for doing it is a sort of pre-emptive strike to become the only or main engineering institution. I can't see the mechanicals or the civils being very impressed. The much earlier change from Society of Telegraph Engineers was made necessary by the rise of electric power which came to dominate the business of the STE.

Please remember that this forum is NOT part of the BVWS. It also does not have the word "wireless" in its name.
Old 8th Jun 2006, 5:59 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS: Appropriate name?

Hmm, British Vintage Weirdo Society - nothing wrong with that

Speaking as someone accused of being weird by most of my colleagues at work this seems fitting.

No, dont see a need to change the name - just look at the railway - what the hell does "One" mean? or indeed "First Connect"? West Anglia Great Northern seemd to work just fine with me!

Cheers
Sean
Old 8th Jun 2006, 6:18 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Personally, I'm very much against name changes, even if there are logical reasons for doing so - it can take a decade or two before people work out that the unfamiliar name is just the well-known and much-loved organisation in disguise.

They are useful where something is "under new management" and the new owners wish to disassociate themselves from the old, but that's about it in my opinion.

Re-branding is sometimes indicative that something's amiss in an organisation - it certainly makes me a bit suspicious. Also, it invariably costs a small fortune, money which could often be better spent doing something more urgent.

Nick.
Old 8th Jun 2006, 8:13 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

I too am against name changes, especially with a well known and respected name.

I have gone from IEEIE to IIE and now IET, and each time the technical content of the institute has become diluted, and the name of the body goes from one with national (international in the case of the IEE)recognition, to an unknown.

Jim
( who may, in a copuple of months, manage to persuade our maintenace staff to change his office nameplate YET AGAIN!)
Old 8th Jun 2006, 11:04 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I think the British, generally, are just resistant to change. Saying that however, many of these name changes seem to occur for no justifiable reason although I suspect much of it is to copy the Americans (no offence meant there). Why, for example, does the former 'Personnel department' now have to be called something as poxy as 'Human resources' ?

Sean mentioned railways. I would assume when a train operating franchise changes hands, the name change is for legal reasons. As Sean said though, WAGN sounds more purposeful than 'One' or 'One Railway'. Up here in Lancs we now have 'Northern Rail' and at least that sounds like a railway company

Many name changes are also brought about through de-skilling of individual professions, presumably as a way of cutting pay and conditions by means of new job descriptions and job titles. Anyway, musn't drift off on a tangent
Old 8th Jun 2006, 11:12 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

It's been BVWS for 30 years. If it was OK then, it's OK now.

But why change the name of the mag to 'The Bulletin' and why does the phrase 'Incorporating 405 Alive' hae to go?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 9th Jun 2006, 8:31 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I agree with Jim, Nick and Steve on the subject of name changes - why?

I see and hear of many pub names being changed, and cannot for the life of me understand how all the expense and hassle of doing this brings and new revenue at all.
Especially when a "consultant" swallows up some of it.

We all know what the BVWS is - if it started off as the "Hifi Runcible Parsnip Society" or "Alf" that would be fine - everyone knows what we are and do.
Old 9th Jun 2006, 8:43 am   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan
Especially when a "consultant" swallows up some of it.
Some?
Old 9th Jun 2006, 9:34 am   #9
peter_scott
Dekatron

I can understand why the IEE changed its name but the BVWS is a totally
backward looking set of people revelling in nostalgia. For sure, looking in our rear view mirror we see more and more technology changes but there is a delightful charm in outmoded terminology and in organisation titles that need to be explained in their modern context. Why should everything be obvious?

It's just a pity that some of the outmodedness of the word "wireless" has been lost by its use in modern contexts.

Peter.
Old 9th Jun 2006, 9:53 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott
IIt's just a pity that some of the outmodedness of the word "wireless" has been lost by its use in modern contexts. .
Yes, but it does mean that "wireless" can be both an old-fashioned or a up-to-date term depending on which way you want to interpret it - an good arguement for keeping the BVWS name unchanged
Old 9th Jun 2006, 12:26 pm   #11
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

Well lets put this one to bed now!

The BVWS (British Vintage Wireless Society) will not be changing it's name, at least not as long as my hands are on the stearing wheel.

"The Bulletin" came from "The Bulletin of the British Vintage Wireless Society".
With the take on of the 405 Alive members and that fact that we see the word "Wireless" to encompass a number of areas of Vintage Radio,TV,Audio etc. areas of interest (as Constitution) it is just a shortening rather than a re-name of the same publication. It also leaves more space on the cover to the excellent photography!

We are the British Vintage Wireless Society and long may it be !

Mike...