UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2018, 9:10 am   #1
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default 7000 Black and White TV's in use!

There are it seems 7000 bw sets still in use inc 1700 in London.

What are these sets or more to the point is it just licences for same?

Courtesy of BBC news today.

Last time a few years ago Glasgow had the highest count though they are pretty sharp up there doing checks.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 10:12 am   #2
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: 7000 B/White Tv,s in use!

There may be 7000 licences, but some of us operate more than one set, so the number of sets in use may be greater still.
That said, an even greater number of B&W sets may be operating under a Colour licence.
It would be a difficult task even to estimate how many B&W sets are still in operation, or at least maintained in operable condition.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 11:02 am   #3
paulsherwin

It seems extremely unlikely that 7,000 households only have B&W receivers. I suspect a fair bit of licence evasion is going on.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 1:15 pm   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Black and white still about!

Hi all,

Interesting, especially as there’s no analogue any more so at the very least viewers would have to buy an STB.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46125741

Cheers,

Kev
Old 8th Nov 2018, 1:35 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

My sentiments entirely Paul but I did not want to over do the accusations!
Old 9th Nov 2018, 11:38 am   #6
MikeM100
Triode

Can someone please explain how they receive signals and what they are watching ?

I thought that analogue signals had been switched off some years ago ? This sounds more like a 'scare' story from the BBC & TV Licensing

I wonder what 'watching in black & white means legally. If, for example I was able to disable 'colour' display would that be OK?
Old 9th Nov 2018, 4:56 pm   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

That's pretty much what my other half asked yesterday. If such an unusual case was defended in court the TV set would be used as exhibit A and the prosecution would have to employ an independent engineer to try and make the set produce a colour image without adding any components. I would love to be there!

Dave
Old 9th Nov 2018, 4:58 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I thought that at one time there was some sort of concession for people with visual impairments to only pay for a B&W licence even if they had a colour telly?
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:10 pm   #9
Studio263
Octode

I watch in monochrome (Sony TV-306UB) and I have set the STB to "S Video" mode to feed the modulator. Therefore the decoded signal appears in monochrome only, no colour burst or anything. Sounds legal for a mono licence to me, although I still buy a colour one for all the colour sets and video recorders which are piled up here, a few too many to hide in a hurry.

Does anyone here have a trade display licence? As I remember from the shop days it cost virtually nothing and lasted for years. I think I could defend that too, with a fully functional workbench and piles of sets everywhere...
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:18 pm   #10
Panrock
Nonode

Back in the days of TV Detector Vans, could these tell the difference between a colour and black-and-white set anyway?

Steve
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:32 pm   #11
Neil Purling
Nonode

Could they pick up any 4.43Mhz emissions from the decoder of a colour TV?
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:41 pm   #12
chriswood1900
Octode

How many forum members have multiple B&W TVs in their collections?
I have a colour licence but around 18 B&W TVs ranging from 2" Sinclairs through Pye LV30 up to a Max of 17" and around 5 colour sets with CRTs plus various monitors for video and computers.
Not all my collection are in working order some are projects awaiting work but around 1/2 work on a good day, but most viewing is on modern large LCD tvs.
I suspect those that are still really watching B&W with a licence must be doing so with one of the Digi boxes which had modulators and were given mainly to the elderly FOC at switchover as I can think of very few B&W TVs that have a direct video input as standard.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:55 pm   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Presumably a digibox sending composite video to a monochrome monitor would be classed as a 'Black and White TV'. Not that I know anyone who has such a setup.

Back in the days of analogue TV and VCRs I noticed that the licence stated that if you had a video recorder (recording off-air signals) you needed a colour licence as all video recorders recorded in colour. I pointed out that the Philips N1500 (at least) had a colour killer button that caused it to record in monochrome. Now what if an N1500 was modified so that said button was always 'on'. Did that need a colour licence. They did not know.

Nor could they tell me what (if any) licence was needed for a TV sound only receiver (either FM or NICAM). Or what licence was needed for a teletext -only receiver (and did it matter if the colour attributes were decoded).
Old 9th Nov 2018, 6:25 pm   #14
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Back in the days of TV Detector Vans, could these tell the difference between a colour and black-and-white set anyway?

Steve
Discontinued a number of years ago. We are now exempt from the requirement to have a licence and also no longer compelled to report our customers to the authorities. Maybe something to do with the apparently enormous Mouse family that was taking over the UK, according to the returns at least!
Old 9th Nov 2018, 6:45 pm   #15
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post

Maybe something to do with the apparently enormous Mouse family that was taking over the UK, according to the returns at least!
Presumably mostly named 'Michael'...

A late friend of mine used to claim to be 'A. Hall, Kensington Gore'. Think about it.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 8:31 pm   #16
stitch1
Heptode

Default Re: 7000 Black and White TV's in use!

7000 is a small % of licenses even if some are lying at least they are paying something many more don’t pay at all.

Apparently... TV Licensing visits properties that don't respond to their attempts to make contact. Every day more than 700 people are caught – with 256,600 homes found to be watching TV without a licence last year.

I’m happy to pay as I think the content of tv, radio etc is good value compared with subscription tv.

John
Old 10th Nov 2018, 5:12 pm   #17
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 7000 Black and White TV's in use!

A middle-aged friend of mine has had a B/W set (Teleton T123(?) ) for about 15 years now.
He refused to continue paying for a colour licence when a report came out revealing the obscenely high pay some of the BBC's worthless "Celebrities" were receiving.
This was originally a protest gesture, but he says he is happy with B/W now he has got accustomed to it again.
It is used with an 'Icecrypt' STB (RF output). Incidentally, the Teleton has never given any trouble.
Luckily, I am over 75, so do not need any licence, which is good, as I very rarely watch any BBC offering. Tony.
Closed Thread