UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2021, 5:51 pm   #1
simon72post
Diode

Default Yamaha KX393 tape deck play back crackling noise

Hello

Please could someone give me a little guidance.
I have a yamaha KX393 tape deck which has all ways worked fine.

But it has suddenly got a problem on play back. I get crackling noises its mainly on the right channel but also a little on the left. And the meter on the right hand channel sometimes randomly shots to the top and I get louder clicks and crackling.

I am quite happy trying to fix things and work with electronics but never repaired an amplifier circuit.

I have had a look at the circuit diagram and the yamaha has 2 output IC's in the playback amp the first a LA3161 then a NJM4558L.
After the playback amp the signals then go through the dolby circuits before the output sockets.

Would you say the two amplifier IC's is the best place to start or do you think it might be something else more like a capacitor.

Any tips on the best way to track the problem down would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 2nd Oct 2021, 6:01 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Yamaha KX393 tape deck play back crackling noise

This is pretty unlikely to be a chip fault. Start with the basics - clean all the switch contacts, and then examine the boards carefully for dry joints. After that, check all the voltage rails, ideally with a scope.
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 10:49 am   #3
simon72post
Diode

Thank you
Old 5th Oct 2021, 1:13 pm   #4
knobtwiddler
Octode

Do you have a soundcard? There is a piece of SW that you can download for free: audiotester.de

You will see that a lot of tape fanatics use it. It has a live-view FFT analyser. This could potentially prove useful in working out where your problem lies. You can look at the frequency distribution and content. Can be very useful in determining where a fault lies!
Closed Thread