UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2021, 12:56 am   #1
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Using the Door Opener interface on a panasonic KX-T308 telephone exchange

The Panasonic KX-T308 telephone has an RJ11 socket for connecting a door opener.

Using the standard colour codes for an RJ11 lead this gives....

Door opener interface

Black + 12 Volts
Red - Door 1
Green - Door 2
Yellow - GND

Door 1,2 0 volts door locked, 5 volts for door unlock

Easiest way is to use a drive transistor with base resitor to the signal driving a
relay which must have a protection diode.

Dialing the codes 551 or 552 result in a unlock (5 Volts) for 5 seconds.

Note this has to be enabled first under programming to be enabled for each phone.

these codes could be entered from any pulse/tone telephone or even a computer via a modem.

Of course this could be used to control any external equipment. Ideas as
to what would be intersting.
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 11:03 am   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Using the Door Opener interface on a panasonic KX-T308 telephone exchange

I think it would be very civilised being able to phone from the bedroom and initiate the kettle for early morning tea.

Or step up/down through the channels on a radio feeding a pantry transmitter.
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 2:13 pm   #3

Default Re: Using the Door Opener interface on a panasonic KX-T308 telephone exchange

A cat food deliverer, that would save our feet being clawed and chewed during a weekend lie-in. Well my feet anyway, I am tall enough for them to stick out of the end of the bed, that wouldn't stop the "while you are feeding the cats a cuppa would be nice".

Solved, ring the butlers bell!

Old 22nd Aug 2021, 2:51 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I used to maintain those KXT 308 systems I probably wired some door openers.

My Raspberry Pi Asterisk PABX has 10 relays connected to the GPIO pins using one of these cheap Chinese boards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	raspbx.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	239839

A further two pins can be used for doorbells or alarm inputs

It was an interesting exercise when I did it in 2017 but although the code is still in place on my system I have not found a use for it other than its own novelty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	voip_42359553004_o.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	239840  
Old 5th Sep 2021, 7:59 pm   #5
whyperion
Hexode

Seeing the Lookmumnocomputer You Tube video channel , controlling the on off of a teletubbie toy seems one use.
Old 12th Sep 2021, 11:35 pm   #6
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I used to maintain those KXT 308 systems I probably wired some door openers.

My Raspberry Pi Asterisk PABX has 10 relays connected to the GPIO pins using one of these cheap Chinese boards.

Attachment 239839

A further two pins can be used for doorbells or alarm inputs

It was an interesting exercise when I did it in 2017 but although the code is still in place on my system I have not found a use for it other than its own novelty.
likewise, rambo. I'must have fitted hundreds of 308/616/1232 and other types of Panasonics using the doorinterface and never had a problem( not with the electrics). Woodworking, we left to carpenters. our PSU of choice was a bell transformer. I can't remember what Panasonic suggested on the 308 course. What we did spot in Panasonic HQ was a box con 201 with no lid.
Closed Thread