UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2021, 6:41 am   #41
Viscount
Heptode

Default Re: Fidelity Record Player. Wrong fuse in mains plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
In all my many years in servicing record players I have never seen anything like it! That looks as if actual flames have burnt the wood motor board. That requires very careful investigation.
I suppose if the bridge rectifier went S/C and the record player was left on for a very long period the motor could overheat but that is a total burn out. Take care, John.
yes i must admit i was shocked as well when i opened it up ive not seen anything like it either (with my very limited expierence)
Old 5th Sep 2021, 7:00 am   #42
Viscount
Heptode

thank you techman i will take all that info on board,
Old 5th Sep 2021, 8:25 am   #43
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I suppose there is a remote possibility that it has been mucked about with and somebody managed to apply the mains across the 18V winding and with a 13amp fuse it's possible to pass a very heavy current. Taking a look at the pictures it appears the metal rectifier is distressed. John.
Old 5th Sep 2021, 8:55 am   #44
Viscount
Heptode

didnt really appear to have been messed with ,all seemed very original no evidence of tampering ,one of lifes mysteries im afraid ,all i can say is that there seems more damage to the sec winding than the primary,indicating a short at the amp maybe as already stated
Old 5th Sep 2021, 2:47 pm   #45
slidertogrid
Octode

The motor is packed. It is a two speed motor so you will need to swap the armature over. I will PM you once I know the postage cost.
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210905_133652.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	240721   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210905_133641.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	240722   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210905_133634.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	240723  
Old 5th Sep 2021, 3:56 pm   #46
Viscount
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
The motor is packed. It is a two speed motor so you will need to swap the armature over. I will PM you once I know the postage cost.
Rich.
armature removed ready to swap ,many thanks,
Old 5th Sep 2021, 11:00 pm   #47
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: wrong fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba tony View Post
Hello, does stalling an a\c induction motor cause excessive current to flow through it? And if there is an extra winding to provide a low voltage feed for the amplifier does this collapse when the motor is stalled, simple science I know but I'm a little vague on the theory of electric motors, thank you anyone.
No on both counts although the secondary output may change in voltage possibly even upwards.
Old 8th Sep 2021, 5:29 pm   #48
Viscount
Heptode

The lastest update is that the replacement motor has arrived, thank you slidetogrid.

Underside of deck cleaned of all the burn marks, motor installed, auto system cleaned and relubed, temp supply done and all is good. Deck is now in exellent condition with secondary winding showing 18V which luckily is spot on the amp being that of an HF35T. Just need now to sort out rectifier etc.

More to follow.
Old 14th Sep 2021, 10:58 am   #49
Viscount
Heptode

ok so the latest post on this player, identified as a fidelity ff35,new motor fitted with 18 sec winding tested with amp out of circuit runs fine ,new bridge rectifier fitted plus C6/&7 changed , output transistor have both survived,18v connected and no sound!!!!so checking around it also turns out the cartridge is knackered and quess what its an X5H so have fitted one of those chineese jobs and all is good,volume is naturaly lower but is acceptable
Old 18th Sep 2021, 7:09 pm   #50
Viscount
Heptode

mods please close
Closed Thread