UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2021, 1:56 pm   #21
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony KV-25X1U Battered PCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKC2E51R8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Aswo seems to have the D board assembly available as special order (though they might tell you it's not available anymore from Sony once you actually order it) for the low low price of less than 300 euro before taxes. I think that could be the chassis.
Ive found it 'Available' on Spares2Repair.co.uk also so perhaps it is still available to order. I dont have access to ASWO as its trade only and I dont have a trade account. I wouldnt pay that much for it anyway though, madness.
From what I could find so far, they dropship the chassis from Aswo, for more than 400 pounds.
Old 4th Sep 2021, 2:50 pm   #22
simpsons
Octode

Hi Luke

I have been watching your progress with great interest. I too have had to repair a damaged Colour TV, given to me which had been dropped on its corner. At the time, pennies were short and some super glue, odd lengths of wire to the LOPT and a few expletives later the set worked, well in a fashion. The shadow mask was not quite aligned. Several bar magnets later placed at odd angles saved the day until the set was moved to another location and then to the WEE licenced dump.

To your set. I have been to the "store of the forgotten," in my loft and whilst I'm sorry to say your TV chassis wasn't amongst them, I re-made friendships with many parts and complete sets I'd forgotten I had.

Best of luck with the set, it looked a cracker and worth the effort to get it up and running.

Chris
Old 4th Sep 2021, 3:08 pm   #23
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKC2E51R8 View Post
Quote:
Aswo seems to have the D board assembly available as special order (though they might tell you it's not available anymore from Sony once you actually order it) for the low low price of less than 300 euro before taxes. I think that could be the chassis.
Ive found it 'Available' on Spares2Repair.co.uk also so perhaps it is still available to order. I dont have access to ASWO as its trade only and I dont have a trade account. I wouldnt pay that much for it anyway though, madness.
From what I could find so far, they dropship the chassis from Aswo, for more than 400 pounds.
I had a feeling that might be what they're doing, its crazy having it priced so high, I understand a fair price considering its a complete main board (minus the A board) but still 400 is excessive.

I'm about to go back to the sony now and see what came undone when i put the chassis back in, i think ive either lost connection to the degause coils and/or the screen voltage connection is broken.
Old 4th Sep 2021, 9:58 pm   #24
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

this is the progress so far, ive got the tinest bit of incorrect deflection, could anyone point me where i need to be looking next because ive double and triple checked and everything looks to be wired correctly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210904_215306.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	240695  
Old 4th Sep 2021, 10:44 pm   #25
Red to black
Nonode

As I said you need to look at the TT service mode, it is also possible you have missed a (re-)connection or two out
Old 4th Sep 2021, 10:46 pm   #26
ben
Dekatron

Unfortunately your model number rag a bell because two summers back I scrapped this exact model, in a coastal flat belonging to the in-laws we occasionally use. Once more, worn tube (The set was actually a skip find about ten or so years ago).
I vaguely remember stripping the chassis for useful bits, don't think I kept it. Sorry not to be of help! Will check in the workshop just in case I have anything that might be useful.
Old 5th Sep 2021, 10:36 pm   #27
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

some more progress, i think, i found one of the connections from the flyback to the vertical deflection rail wasnt connected properly so made it and now when the set stars i can here the deflection coils 'working' whereas before i couldnt. there is no picture at all however, even those lines i had yesterday are gone now, turning up the G2 does nothing, screen still stays off.

Is it perhaps another connection missed or could this be to do with needing to go into the TT service mode. The front LED isnt blinking any errors and the set is behaving as normal albeit no display. The set is running normally I even had it playing music via the front AV when connected to my PS3 just the display is blank, is it most likely something else just isnt connected

Last edited by IKC2E51R8; 5th Sep 2021 at 10:55 pm. Reason: More Details
Old 6th Sep 2021, 11:51 am   #28
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Respect for getting so far!
Do have a look at the CRT base just in case there's a crack there. A meter will help to see if the cathodes are cut off (around 200v) or if the G2/A1 is missing. Both these measurements are easy to do on the base.
Old 6th Sep 2021, 11:07 pm   #29
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

more progress, the 1000v supply to the tube board wasnt making a proper connection so i fixed that, still no picture, turned up the A1 and usual flyback lines appeared with a rainbow effect (as in the pics) at first I had two thoughs 1. sucess in repairing the flyback and deflection as the whole screen is lighting up, great. 2. oh now the tube is damaged (due to the rainbow effect)....maybe not so...

I checked out some repair tips on other sites to see if there could be any clues there, Found this one...

Sony BE-3D KV29X1U no pic, rainbow effect if A1 increased 9V supply high at 11.6V, replace IC606 LM2940T-9-0

So i checked the 9v supply and its all over the place, its not staying at the correct voltage, it goes as high as 8.9v then drops to 3.4, 4.4 back up to 8.9, 0.3v its not regulating at all.

the 9v is supplied from the secondary to the A board and from the A board it makes its way to the tube base.

now seeing as the connections to nearly all the traces to the A board connection point were severed i'm going to have a proper look with a magnifiying glass to see if i either missed a connection, one of the new wires i made has come loose or if theres further damage i didnt notice.

i'm hesitant to change the IC606 9v regulator itself as i dont think its the problem i think its more than likely that the connection isnt stable so the voltage is dropping off. .

do you think i'm on the right track? each day i make more and more progress on it so i'm happy and feel like im at the last missing piece of the puzzle to have this set back to full functionality
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210906_225433.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	240803   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210906_225435.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	240804  

Last edited by IKC2E51R8; 6th Sep 2021 at 11:08 pm. Reason: forgot to add pictures
Old 7th Sep 2021, 8:08 am   #30
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'm sorry to say that is the classic display of a damaged Sony tube. It was very common when the receiver had been dropped. At least your printed board repair has confirmed this without unnecessary wasted cost. John.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 10:13 am   #31
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I guess it would t hurt to at least try and sort out the 9V fault, is the degaussing circuit working?

Regards
Lloyd
Old 7th Sep 2021, 10:44 am   #32
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Oh dear. As John says this is a textbook impression of a damaged Trinitron tibe - we've all seen it. No amount of degaussing and fitting of magnets will help as the internal lower fixing of the wires has come adrift.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 12:19 pm   #33
Maarten
Dekatron

I would definitely try to fix the 9V line first. Chances are the tube is gone as well, but no need to rush a diagnosis when you've already come so far.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 12:43 pm   #34
simpsons
Octode

Perhaps a long shot but, as you are now on the island of Ireland, how about contacting the well known YouTube presenter OJNOJ of Irish Vintage TV and Radio.

Whilst he may not have the Sony tube or TV, I would bet an Irish punt Éireannach that he knows someone who does!

I have no involvement with his YouTube or other interests but thoroughly enjoy and learn from his videos.

Chris

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 7th Sep 2021 at 8:26 pm. Reason: Email address removed
Old 7th Sep 2021, 4:13 pm   #35
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Hi All,

Thanks for following along and all your advice on this.

after looking at the set a little bit more, the latest comments RE: the tube and a quick google of Trinitrons with apperture damage i've accepted the fact the tube is toast.

Such a shame as you can see from the eBay pictures the Tube looked excellent in it.

Never in all the years and all the sets ive had sent over from the UK have i ever had a set with appeture/shadow mask damage. Never realised how sensitive trinitrons are and I wont ever ship one over again.

I'm happy to know ive still got the 59P7A and 51K5 eventually coming over, I'm confident they will arrive just fine.

The Trinitron is now on its way to be scrapped. I might eventually find one of the same model over here.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 5:50 pm   #36
agardiner
Octode

Such a shame after all your hard work.

Don't give up trying to find a good one though. They were excellent in their day and I think most of us would like to own a set that reminds us of our childhood.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 5:52 pm   #37
agardiner
Octode

Also - don't completely scrap it. Keep parts like the LOPT, tuner and any custom ICs; in case you need them for your next one.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 6:59 pm   #38
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
Such a shame after all your hard work.

Don't give up trying to find a good one though. They were excellent in their day and I think most of us would like to own a set that reminds us of our childhood.
Gutted it didnt work out, it was only a couple hours work when all added together but still i thought given all the other tv's including the IKC2 Ferguson that was severly damaged a few months ago survived and is still working that maybe the tube survived, alas, Trinitrons arent great at traveling.

The Original one of these my Nanny had worked flawlessly all the years she had it, then it was passed onto her friend and a few years later i heard it 'blew up' and was scrapped.

I suppose I will eventually find one again but this model seems to be few and far between.

Im going to keep the Boards out of it to syphon parts I may need if I ever get another one.

Ive got a box of complete Chassis ive stripped from scrapped TV's over the years so it'l be added to what I call 'The Pile'
Old 7th Sep 2021, 8:36 pm   #39
Red to black
Nonode

Gutted for you mate, when I saw the state of the chassis I half expected that the CRT would be goosed, that looks like its been thrown from quite a height! I am actually surprised the CRT is still fixed to the cabinet.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 8:55 pm   #40
Refugee
Dekatron

My recommended packaging for all items is to protect it from being thrown about 25 feet.
This remained the same as the mail moved from rail where it was the width of a mail car plus platform to road where it became the body length of a 7.5 ton van.
Closed Thread