UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:22 pm   #1
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Default Selena B215 quiet FM fixed

Got a Selena power lead off ebay for £26 delivered. It had a B210 with it, gave it a good clean but it was already cleanish and it works great, a couple of knobs are broken but still in place and fairly secure. This inspired me to have another look at my B215 which was quiet on FM, compared to the B210 it is noticably quieter all around. Using some info on this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=169545&page=4 I replaced those little pF caps and measured the old ones C5 should be 51pF measured 57, C19 should be 24pF measured 83, C27 should be 24pF measured "no capacitance", C32 should be 24pF measured 95 and C53 should be 51pF measured 38... Replaced nominal 24pF with 22 and 51pF with 47, and it works. Probably needs realigning now, also might be worth replacing the axial electrolytics on the IF board to address the general quietness but it's great to have a successful fix, thanks to hobbyists.

Peculiar differences between B210 switch operation on battery vs mains. Momentary light button switches lights on for battery, off for mains. On mains the red switch button switches the radio off but leaves the lights on when pressed in... the radio is switched on by pressing the sine wave button in and leaving the red button out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0595.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	238569  
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 7:16 pm   #2
alanworland
Heptode

Default Re: Selena B215 quiet FM fixed

Well done. Good set's - I took mine to a fellow forum member in Cuba - used everyday!

Alan
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 10:36 pm   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

I like the Selenas, and the Parker Knoll set is a bit of a classic too

It's good here
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 8:36 am   #4
Avid_Nerdlinger
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
I took mine to a fellow forum member in Cuba
I imagine that's like taking coals to Newcastle, I enjoyed reading this Cuban angle: https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/communit...soviet-radios/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
I like the Selenas, and the Parker Knoll set is a bit of a classic too
That (Ercol!) kitchen furniture is about the same age as the radios on it, plenty of life left in that too.
Closed Thread