UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2021, 12:02 am   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Rosin flux needle bottle users

In the now closed thread Liquid Rosin Flux I said to avoid catastrophic spills at all cost because your entire workbench, all the tools and testgear, and your clothes will be ruined. In particular avoid fumbling while handling the bottle as the resulting movement may be unexpected.

In the video The Bizarre Behavior of Rotating Bodies a mathematician explains the Dzhanibekov Effect in simple terms, using a needle bottle as an example

It's good here
Old 11th Jul 2021, 2:33 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Rosin flux needle bottle users

The Youtube algorithm fed me that video a couple of weeks ago. Very interesting.

What's the deal with liquids in unstable flat-sided bottles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	flux.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	237455

Are they designed to topple over and spill?

In the TV rental trade in the '70s we used gallons of Joynes Waxless Polish, which came in a glass flat medicine style bottle. I think most of it was accidentally used to polish the bench tops when the bottle got knocked over.
Old 11th Jul 2021, 2:57 am   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Most generally, a flat sided-bottle is wide and more visible on the shelf in the supermarket! It's not an efficient use of plastic, and it may well tip over and spill, but the key factor is that it gets sold.

For stuff like flux, that may not be a requirement, but the bottle makers are set up to make bottles of that form.

B
Old 11th Jul 2021, 9:11 am   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I keep the old bottle and decant a small amount from the new bottle, just enough so it does not run out when laid on it side. It will not prevent every spill scenario, but ok for when I knock it on it's side. I do it to tins Brasso as well.

John.
Old 11th Jul 2021, 10:50 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Great video!

Planet Earth is a bit more complex than a hard bottle filled with lossy fluid. The surface is somewhat fluid/flexible and floats on the core fluid. The rotation causes forces which make it an oblate spheroid, so the rotation about the axis with maximum moment of inertia is interesting because the rotation sets which axis has the maximum moment of inertia. There seems to be a loop of causality. This could be stable or unstable and I don't know enough to work out which.

Additionally, the fluid core is magnetically active, and there are further forces as a consequence. Oh, and there's the movement of the two bulges in the oceans... the tides caused by the moon (and lesser ones due to other bodies...) So now the lunar orbit gets thrown into the mix.

It's left me wanting a tennis racquet.

Back to radio, soldering and flux. Liquid flux is sticky-messy enough in a nice reliable gravitational field. I'm not sure I'd want to go soldering in zero gravity and releasing little particles of spatter to float around. Solder particles are conductive and flux is chemically active. Nice!. Murphy says they will move to the place of maximum mischief.

Needle bottles of liquid flux may not be desirable in orbit.

David
Old 11th Jul 2021, 2:38 pm   #6

Odd as it sounds I use an aerosol flux can, with gentle pressure I can deliver very small drops of flux from the tube. The tube is clear and I can see the drop arriving, the drops are separated by the propellant gas.

Old 12th Jul 2021, 4:49 pm   #7
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Great video!

there are further forces as a consequence. Oh, and there's the movement of the two bulges in the oceans... the tides caused by the moon (and lesser ones due to other bodies...) So now the lunar orbit gets thrown into the mix.

David
I have read that it is the moon that prevents the earth from flipping. Our moon is the largest in relation to its planet in the solar system. Earth and the moon are effectively linked by the gravitational attraction between them and this acts to stabilise the axial tilt.
Venus has no moon and has flipped in the past so that it rotates retrograde.

Peter
Old 16th Jul 2021, 1:58 pm   #8
ionburn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

Attachment 237455

Are they designed to topple over and spill?
I have a similar little flat sided little bottle which has my surface mount flux. It's rather sticky and a pain to get off anywhere too. It has a brush applicator which is useful. I have it permanently stood in a larger high sided glass jar. It might have been an old paste jar or similar and is about half as high as the bottle. That way the bottle cannot fall over and if liquid ever ran down the bottle it would collect in the jar.
Old 17th Jul 2021, 10:41 pm   #9
Brettski
Tetrode

I love my needle bottle. Would struggle without it .
Old 20th Jul 2021, 1:09 am   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

I like gel flux better.
Old 20th Jul 2021, 9:05 pm   #11
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I see it has ribbing too, so perhaps its form is a survival of a long-established convention for substances "not to be taken" to come in flattened bottles with tactile surfaces easily recognised in dim light and by blind folk once they knew the implied warning. I've picked up several 1920s/30s glass examples at a nearby bottle dump: Jeyes Fluid, Sanizal etc..

Paul
Closed Thread