UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 14th Jun 2021, 1:28 pm   #1
thoyer454
Triode

Default Eddystone 850/2

A while back I asked about the Eddystone 850/2 receiver as I had one in my sights - Well it followed me home this weekend.

It looks to be a very clean (shelf dust mostly) early model Serial Number is DEV0003. I have joined the Eddystone groups.io list also. Seems like a wealth of knowledge between these two groups.

Couple pics attached.

Tom
W3TA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_4378-1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	235888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_4379-1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	235889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_4377-1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	235890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_4384-1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	235891  
thoyer454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2021, 2:30 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Eddystone 850/2

great find and love that serial number.
Old 14th Jun 2021, 2:32 pm   #3
deliverance
Hexode

Very nice and super clean enjoy.
deliverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2021, 2:34 pm   #4
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

Dev Protoypes were often used as patterns for the assembly line to build against.
Chris G0EYO
Chris G0EYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2021, 3:45 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Fascinating... I wonder what it would have been used for? [the frequency coverage is 'interesting'].

I note the presence of a red-and-black Plessey electrolytic, and what looks like a bunch of the TCC Metalmite/Metalpack capacitors which - despite their metal cases and moulded-rubber end-bungs are just waxies-in-posh-jackets and will be leaky as anything.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2021, 9:52 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

Nice one- shame about what look like two broken toggle switches, though. Eddystones often have neat mechanical detailing, though the passive components can be distinctly unexceptional in quality. No great restoration traumas there by the looks of it. Should make a good NDB finder, plus it would be interesting to see how many of the remaining powerful European-area LW broadcasters make it across the pond!
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2021, 12:42 am   #7
thoyer454
Triode

Thank you all for the informative replies.

Given that it seems to be a development radio, now I wonder whether I should replace the necessary parts to make it operational (don't know if it is or not, but usually a cap or two need to be replaced before powering these old radios up) or leave it as is? I don't want to upset any "originality" value it may have by replacing parts.

I would like to find some original style switches to replace the two broken ones though.

Tom
W3TA
thoyer454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2021, 8:58 pm   #8
Skywave
Dekatron

The photos show a very close resemblance to the Eddystone 888A - which covered the 6 LF / MF amateur radio bands then in existence during the 1960s / 1970s. And that radio was a really fine performer.

Al.
Old 16th Jun 2021, 12:04 pm   #9
G4XWDJim
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoyer454 View Post
I would like to find some original style switches to replace the two broken ones though.

Tom
W3TA
Hi Tom,

Are these the type of switches you need. Often made by Bulgin I think. You're welcome to these two If they'll help.

I did quite a bit of work a dozen years ago on my 850/4. It was good for listening to the Alexanderson alternator on 17.2kHz and aircraft beacons on low medium wave. They've almost all gone now.

Realignment on the very VLF band was tricky. 3 point tracking I seem to remember. It was also useful as a signal tracer.

I've mislaid the memory stick which contains my photos so I'm not able to remember the serial No. I don't think it had dev on the plate.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch - 1.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	236002  

Last edited by Station X; 17th Jun 2021 at 4:20 pm. Reason: 17.2mHz -> 17.2kHz
G4XWDJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2021, 1:25 pm   #10
G4XWDJim
Octode

Sorry Tom, I didn't look at your pics properly and assumed the switches would be like the ones on mine. Even so the correct switches should be available over here.

Jim
G4XWDJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2021, 10:41 pm   #11
majoconz
Hexode

G4XWDJim said:
Quote:
It was good for listening to the Alexanderson alternator on 17.2kHz
Now you'll get another go....

Quote:
The annual transmission event on the Alexanderson Day with the Alexanderson Alternator from 1924
on VLF 17.2 kHz CW with the call sign SAQ, is scheduled for Sunday, July 4th, 2021.
The Alexander Grimeton Association are planning to carry out two broadcasts to the world from the old Alexanderson alternator SAQ. Only required staff will be in place, due to the ongoing pandemic.

Transmission schedule:
1. Startup and tuning at 10:30 CET (08:30 UTC) with a transmission of a message at 11:00 CET (09:00 UTC)
2. Startup and tuning at 13:30 CET (11:30 UTC) with a transmission of a message at 14:00 CET (12:00 UTC)
I do have an HP 3586A SLM which goes down lower than that with great sensitivity but unfortunately lots of local noise and only a small antenna!
Old 14th Sep 2021, 10:57 pm   #12
turretslug
Dekatron

Hi Tom, hopefully you'll get a reply notification from this forum in connection with;

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...p?f=5&t=402205

Yes, it was often the Eddystone way to use solder as glue for jointing, rather than making a prior secure (twisted-up) mechanical joint. It must have taken a bit of practice to make a neat joint where 3 or more wires needed to be connected together, but it does make repair easier in what are frequently closely-packed sets. Most British practice with point-to-point circuitry was to make a secure mechanical joint before soldering- particularly with professional/military kit, indeed I'm surprised that Eddystone didn't encounter a requirement to do things this way with some/much of their production. There have been previous discussions on this forum in connection with this aspect of Eddystone practice in particular, and some other manufacturers. In general, the joints seem to fare OK over the years, though in the 750 here (a compact dual-conversion general coverage set) two butted joints had fractured and failed where stud-mount caps had been angled toward coil-former tags and bridged with solder- not so good really.

Check the tube pin operating voltages- Eddystone, whilst good at neat and generally sturdy mechanical detailing, did not always use the best passive components and the chances are that there are quite a few off-value resistors and leaky capacitors after half-a-century or so.

Mods, I hope that this slightly oblique way of responding to Tom's query isn't too out of order, whilst I follow Antique Radio Forums, life's too short and otherwise busy to be a member of everything!

Colin
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote