UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2021, 4:01 pm   #1
Restoration73
Nonode

Default McMichael rally

https://mcmichaelrally.radarc.org/
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 6:18 pm   #2
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: McMichael rally

Fingers double crossed!
Rob
Old 24th Apr 2021, 2:30 am   #3
ortek_service
Octode

Yes, it could be the first one this year / first since Feb'20.

Especially now that I saw on the website, that the nearby Newbury one which was scheduled for 27th June 2021 has been postponed until 26th June 2022, whereas I had expected that one to be first, being after provisional 21st June end of all restrictions

- With Newbury being completely outdoor, that one could probably technically take place right now with few restrictions.
(Some large Car boot sales were taking place in late Summer 2020, once all shops had re-opened back then)
Old 28th Apr 2021, 7:39 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

I'm one of the marshalls at the McMichael, and I know the committee had a lot of discussion with both clubs (Reading and Burnham Beeches) before going ahead. I think it's an excellent way to break the current log-jam of fear about gatherings. It will be outside and there is lots of room to space out stalls.
I'm also fingers crossed, and hugely looking forward to it!
See you there...
-Jeremy
Old 28th Apr 2021, 8:55 pm   #5

To aid my memory will someone "bump" this thread a few days before it happens, please!!!!

Old 18th Jun 2021, 9:58 am   #6
Pamphonica
Nonode

Sadly, I have just heard that the McMichael Committee have decided with regret that the Rally will have to be cancelled. With the government delay on the final lockdown stage, the rugby club where it is held are sticking to very tight distancing and attendance rules and that apparently makes even an outdoor event non-viable.
A huge shame as it was to be one of the only rallies I could go to this summer, after so many had been cancelled.
I do understand that the Torbay ARS Annual Rally at the Newton Abbott racecourse is still booked for August 29th. This is an indoor rally.
-Jeremy
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:37 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Bad news, sorry to hear that. Out of interest, can you tell me about the rally, what goes on, is it just McMichael? Stalls, etc.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:43 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I was following this as it looked like it was going to be one of the only rallies operating this year [Harwell, Newbury, FRARS and Frome having already been canned]

Chippenham still seems to be on the schedule: https://wiltshirespc.org/wp/g3vre/wi...ctronics-fair/
Old 18th Jun 2021, 8:20 pm   #9
Sinewave
Octode

Probably no rallies to be held this year - just means I can't accumulate any more piles of things!
Old 18th Jun 2021, 8:29 pm   #10
Pamphonica
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Bad news, sorry to hear that. Out of interest, can you tell me about the rally, what goes on, is it just McMichael? Stalls, etc.
It’s a standard (ham) radio rally. Stalls with lots of surplus items, not just radio related, but components, test equipment, computing, cables etc. It’s called the McMichael to reflect the origins of McMichael in Reading.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 8:25 am   #11
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks for that.
Old 20th Jun 2021, 4:53 pm   #12
Sinewave
Octode

One concern I have is that some of the regular large stall holders may never return if they've had to find something else to do over the past two years.