UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2018, 1:50 pm   #41
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Radio Auction Chorley 3-6-18

It looks like an Ericofon 700.
Old 1st Jun 2018, 11:00 pm   #42
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Good luck Rob, I hope it is a huge success, and the first of many.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 5:39 pm   #43
Kentode
Octode

Rob, thank you so much for driving for 9 hours and holding a great auction.

You deserve a medal!

I sincerely hope that this will happen every year.

Now, where am I going to put that Philips mono knob?

More pasties please.

BVWS member
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 5:45 pm   #44
MonochromeMarc
Pentode

Great fun indeed Rob, thanks for all your hard work and here's to the next one
Now, where the 'eck do I put all this trash err treasure I bought ?

Marc.

PS, More pasties please !
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 8:22 pm   #45
Dave Moll
Dekatron

May I add my thanks for an enjoyable event. Even though I didn't end up spending more than £10 on any one lot, I still ended up spending more than I should - and acquired more than I have room for!
Old 4th Jun 2018, 3:49 am   #46
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Thanks Rob, a good event.

My dilemma as to whether I should restore a DAC90 or DAC90A is now resolved.

I now own a nice example of each!
Old 4th Jun 2018, 4:04 am   #47
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

A smashing day out, some unusual lots and some good prices.
You are welcome to the monoknob, the last one drove be round the bowden cable bend.
Thanks Rob for bringing all the gear north, oh, and the genuine pasties too.
Glad to help, very generous. You may have got home before us, extended meal on the way back to Middlewich.
Old 4th Jun 2018, 8:04 am   #48
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
A smashing day out, some unusual lots and some good prices.
... and I must have bought one of the most unusual. Unfortunately, I was bidding on behalf of another forum member for that item, so I don't get to keep it.
Old 4th Jun 2018, 10:59 am   #49
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to everyone for making that event a really solid start. I will be finding another date and going for the second in the series. From that seed we can build up something really worth having. There are a lot of really nice people Up North and it's a shame they've been ignored so long. Those pasties sold out quick and lively. I shall bring more next time. In fact, the same pasties are available in small size (known as a cocktail pasty - but don't float them in your Pina Colada) so I'm tempted to impale three on a big stick and sell 'em as a Wigan kebab! Perhaps I should expand the range to include Barnet Fayre's locally-famous "Windy Pie". It's the perfect storm!!!
Old 4th Jun 2018, 12:27 pm   #50
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Unfortunately a series of unforseen events kept me in Sussex rather than at home in Rammy Rob but I'm so pleased it went well for you! I used to go to Radio Rallies in the Leisure Centre in Chorley quite a few years back. It's a bit of a Railway centre historically,so there is a technical link there [ie Railway Road]. A female poet from Chorley was on the Radio this morning and said it was just a "little Market Town". I'm wondering how you ended up there in the first place-is there a local link for you? How big was the attendance in the end? I will certainly get there next time. As you say, there are not so many Northern events but I do get to Golborne if I can! I'm having a "Bexhill Cornish Pastie" for my lunch-good but not the real thing I'm sure

Dave W
Old 4th Jun 2018, 11:04 pm   #51
dave walsh
Dekatron

I was surprised that Rob posted at all today as I thought he might be asleep for a few days after all that effort . If any attendees have comments or photos I would welcome them while he recovers.

Dave
Old 7th Jun 2018, 4:03 pm   #52
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Rob, I was unable to come but put some bids in through a friend. Hopefully see you next time.
Would it be possible to post the auction results as they do with the BVWS. It should also act as a taster for the next "do".

Ed
Old 8th Jun 2018, 9:15 pm   #53
terry123
Pentode

Well I believe I should start this belated write up by thanking Rob for an all-round excellent day. Having organised/planned large numbers of events myself over the years including BVWS Harpenden and the NVCF (when it was still at the NEC) I know the tremendous hard work and many man hours that goes on behind the scenes before the doors are opened to the public.

The Chorley event was clearly well organised with a decent hall, parking for a fair number of cars and a PA system that was clear and audible. Rob was mainly assisted by his son Ollie and by two very able volunteers who helped out with holding up the lots. The remarkable fact is how it was all run by such a small number of people. The lady running the kitchen ran out of Cornish pasties quite early due to demand! She did not even get one herself. They were very tasty though. (You’ll probably guess that I managed to get one). There were approx. 260 lots some arriving on the day. This meant that an updated catalogue was issued later that morning.

Hi-fi, valves, record players, vintage radio, military, books records, and test gear you name it. Including a couple of “grot boxes”. I thought some of the prices fetched were quite low on some items that would have commanded larger sums not that many years ago. Vintage Hifi and the like all ways does well. Even the rather tatty LEAK TL12 which did not look quite as bad in the flesh. I counted around 30 attendees. My purchases included a Taylor 45C valve tester (been after one for a while) at reasonable cost.
I took a number of event pictures on the day and have attached one to give a little sample of the flavour on the day.

I try and support these events where I can and I hope that those of you on the forum will consider attending the next one. I hope that Rob was encouraged enough from the success of this one to do another one in the near future.

It was about a 3.5 hour trip each way from “Ferrograph World” towers here in glorious Rosyth, Fife Scotland so a bit closer to home then when I have been to Chas’s events at Gnosall. I might consider a car share arrangement the next time, should anyone in my area want to share the petrol costs. (PM me if interested) As it can easily be done in a day, I was actually back home by 7.30pm that evening having my tea and checking over my new acquisitions.

Kind regards
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chorley.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	164271  
Old 8th Jun 2018, 11:05 pm   #54
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks for your contribution Terry-very helpful. I recall your name from the BVWS. I'm still hopeful that Rob will say a bit more eg was it economic for him overall? [a major effort we all agree]. Any future dates in mind and most intriguingly-why Chorley?, great as it is! I'm sure he could build it up into a very personal and well regarded event. I think time was against him so, with another go, he would be able to get the info out quicker. He certainly has all the right attitude and contacts to succeed in an otherwise perhaps contracting market. Sounds like a separate pastie vehicle could subsidise the event by itself. Well done Rob!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 8th Jun 2018 at 11:18 pm.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 9:15 am   #55
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Late news...
Nice event. Enjoyed it. Everyone got paid OK, and I think I lost about £20 myself, so it nearly broke even! Three sellers cheques to be mailed tomorrow, rest gone today.
This will grow with a bit of nurturing, so let's build on it. I will book the hall again.
It was in Chorley because that's where a lot of motorways meet and it's where I adopted my children from so I know the area a bit. Another important factor was finding a suitable hall with a helpful committee. Some halls are almost impossible to hire because the committee couldn't care less. Not Adlington. Great stuff there.
Pasties went well. Just counted the money. I'll take more pasties next time. Too close to Wigan for anything pie-inspired to be a flop, I suppose! Windy Pies to be added to the menu - sausage meat, cheese and baked beans.
The results of the sale will be on the steamradios web site soon. Got an auction to do today (helping out at a Cornish pop-up auction) so it'll be later in the week.
I also plan to bag a venue in the Beautiful South quite soon because it's not fair that the North gets all the fun.
Watch this forum for further details!
Many thanks to everyone who participated.
Rob.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 9:24 am   #56
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

It was a good day out Rob, thanks.
Sad that you lost money after doing all the hard work, we will have to try harder next time to sell more pasties.
Perhaps forget the auction and have a pop up pastie shop?
I was more than pleased with my purchases, you brought some very good stuff north, shows what we have been missing.
Sam.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 2:09 pm   #57
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes thanks for that Rob. I will certainly keep an eye out for your next date. I've a lot of stuff in Rammy and I'm sure my brother would help me transport it for auction. It does seem as though you have every potential to make your business a considerable success. I think that coming all the way from the Republic of Cornwall to the North [of England that is-there's also "further North"] is a bit of a public service-like Mike Barker trekking from Wiltshire to Golbourne. I used to holiday in Cornwall a lot in the 70's [St Agnes] and it was a real [overnight] expedition to get there at all by car

Dave W
Bexhill but back home soon!
Old 12th Jun 2018, 6:27 pm   #58
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Rob, I hope to be at the next one, so let's have an idea of the date and I'll make sure I'm not double booked.

Ed
Old 14th Jun 2018, 10:58 am   #59
Nanozeugma
Heptode

I like the idea of your doing one in the South Rob, I couldn't make the Chorley one, as I can only get there when I'm staying with family in the North Manchester area - and the date didn't coincide with a visit oop North - pity.
Closed Thread