UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 11th Feb 2024, 5:14 pm   #1
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Default Hartley oscillator question - LC tank and 12AT7

Have been tinkering with my HK RF-1U RF oscillator and although it really isn't 'important' was looking at the AF modulation of 600Hz vs. the supposed 400Hz.

Attached is the modulation circuit, which I believe is a Hartley with LC tank.

Where I am confused is that I thought the frequency was determined by the L and the 'surrounding' C - i.e. the 0ยต1 C12 in the schematic.

But shunting C12 does not vary the freq - whereas shunting the 5,000p C13 does. If I put 2,200p across it I get about 400Hz.

Can someone illuminate my misunderstanding(s) please?

EDIT: what I don't want to inadvertently do is somehow undesirably load the overall RF circuit when MOD is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 15.06.31.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	292740  

Last edited by 6SN7WGTB; 11th Feb 2024 at 5:39 pm.
6SN7WGTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 9:04 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Hartley oscillator question - LC tank and 12AT7

That's not really a Hartley.

There are two capacitors trying to tune with the same inductor. This would be OK for an untapped inductor, but one is on a tap, one is on the full winding. With the inevitable leakage inductance of the two windings, trouble is likely.

Secondly, signal is taken from an anode load. The Hartly idea relies on cathode follower action so th anode should be a signal ground. Lots of Hartleys use anode output, but you get a better waveform from a follower on the main tank.

David
Old 11th Feb 2024, 9:53 pm   #3
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Thanks David, so given I am where I am, how should I tune this in a way not to compromise downstream RF?
Old 11th Feb 2024, 11:11 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

In post #1 , is it over-modulation you are worried about? I think I'm right that most sig gens only modulate to a level of ~30%, so I doubt if over-mod will be a problem. Doubt if it will affect the RF circuitry or output in anyway.

B
Old 11th Feb 2024, 11:31 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The circuit does look like a Hartley to me, to be honest - despite the output being taken from the anode (if the anode load is small it should hardly affect things) and the 'extra' tuning capacitor C14.

However, we don't have details for the tapped inductor.

Based on what the OP says, shunting C12 ought to reduce the frequency. If it doesn't, something else is happening - I'm wondering if coupling is so great that relaxation oscillations are happening - it's a blocking oscillator - and the Hartley oscillation is a very small fraction of the overall period?

Scope waveforms would be very revealing!
kalee20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 8:47 am   #6
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

Scope waveforms would be very revealing!
Here you go. A reasonably good sine wave, at least for the purpose intended.

To answer a previous question, the modulation depth is around 50%, but no, I'm not concerned about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 07.46.28.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	292763