UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2021, 4:27 pm   #1
record man
Pentode

Default Prinzsound SM8

Anyone know where i can get a drive belt for the 8 track as above?
Many thanks Steve
Old 6th Mar 2021, 5:31 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: prinzsound sm8

That is an interesting looking unit Steve.

Often model specific drive belts can be sourced from various onine sellers including eBay. But I cannot easily see anybody advertising this particular belt currently.

Is the current belt still intact to identify its type, i.e. flat, round, square etc

Recommend you use a piece of cotton or thin string and fairly snugly position it around the pulley/flywheel and measure its total length, which will be the circumference (C) then calculate the diameter (D) from D = C / 3.14

Size specific belts are normally sold by their ID (internal diameter). Then look around for a generic belt of that sort of ID of the correct profile type.

David
Old 6th Mar 2021, 5:36 pm   #3
record man
Pentode

Hi Dave the belt is in bits but it is flat square, thanks for checking i was thinking of a strong elastic band as a last resort.
Steve
Old 6th Mar 2021, 5:59 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes a strong elastic band could work at least as a temporary solution until a proper belt can be sourced.

In Post 12 of this link I used a flat belt off a reel to Reel recorder, which works really well.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=174845

David
Old 6th Mar 2021, 6:09 pm   #5
record man
Pentode

Many thanks David.
Steve
Closed Thread