UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2021, 10:57 am   #41
daveoverride
Triode

Default Re: 1965 Mustang AM radio restoration. 5TMZ.

I have checked it, i did conect it incorrectly - to the volume slider.

And the radio still just humms and does not tune into anything.

One observation though:

If you put a cell phone next to amplifier it does click noise which you can make louder or less loud by turning volume knob.

Hmm any suggestion what to try or anyone willing to take the job for some compensation?
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 11:01 am   #42
daveoverride
Triode

One more note:

The turning volume knob all the way down did not turn off the amplifier board. As far as i understand it with the knob turned all way down beyond a click should disconnect everything (no current draining battery after few days weeks sitting).
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 10:33 pm   #43
Herald1360
Dekatron

"Beyond a click" should mean that the ganged switch on the volume control has operated to kill the supply. Either it isn't working correctly or perhaps the amplifier is wired to the 12V input side rather than the switched output side of the switch.

As regards "taking the job on" the difficulty and possibly significant added expense of shipping from and back to Switzerland adds a level of complication that may make it uneconomic. Not necessarily a show stopper, but not a help!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 10:41 pm   #44
daveoverride
Triode

Well i dont seem to have many options left...

In the mean time (few weeks ago) i bought one another mustang 1965 radio but this time a philco. The philco does turn on and off, makes normal radio buzz, louder and more silent as you turn the volume knob. But ... does not tune into anytging, maybe ill make separate thread out of it, but in case someone would be taking a look at motorola i would send philco with it for some close inspection diagnostics...
Old 4th Mar 2021, 11:56 am   #45
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well if you're up for the shipping cost both ways I'll take a look. PM me to discuss.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Mar 2021, 1:25 pm   #46
Station X

Be careful, it's not just the shipping costs that matter. You could end up paying VAT, customs duty and an admin fee in both directions.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Mar 2021, 5:18 pm   #47
daveoverride
Triode

I may send them from germany when they open the boarders again and the rest we figure out later. Not sure when but at least ill packed them now so they dont collect dust. The bezel from philco unit will be sent to rechrome.

And i found the fault why switch did not worked, i connected it to unswitched 12. Now its doing what it supposed to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D07FFE2-F165-40C5-A115-CCD1F43D91C1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	228568  
Old 17th Aug 2021, 6:04 pm   #48
Herald1360
Dekatron

I did take these on to have a go at..... several months and many unrelated distractions later I have so far managed to fix the Motorola 5TMZ. Not a joy to replace components though I only had to take the PCB out twice in the end.

Main problem was a completely open circuit 4-legged 2SA72 IF transistor. I had a few 3-legged 2G304s to hand and one of these seems to work just fine.

On to No. 2, a Ford branded 6TPZ. I really hope the PCB doesn't need to come out of this one- the heavier connections to it are conveniently plug and pin but the connections to the coilpack are just the actual fine En-Cu tails from the coils themselves .

For two physically interchangeable sets with very similar circuits, the construction couldn't be much more different!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5TMZ_Mustang_radio.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	239530   Click image for larger version

Name:	6TPZ_Mustang_radio.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	239531  
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread