UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2020, 1:14 pm   #1
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

Default HRO S meter

My HRO 5M S meter is in pretty bad condition as it has gone very dark red on the lower scale and virtually unreadable on the higher scale (+S9).

Before I embark on a tortuous process of trying to create one in Galva, that I used successfully on my KW Viceroy, has anyone else attempted this.
Any info appreciated.
Andy
Old 1st Jun 2020, 9:44 pm   #2
greenkit
Tetrode

Default Re: HRO S meter

Have a look here:
https://www.radiodaze.com/national-n...-item-ds-a785/

This is not quoted for an HRO, but appears correct?
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 9:23 am   #3
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

Wow, that's great, yes its OK for mine and have ordered one plus the 4 pin PSU plug that was damaged on mine.

That's a great site, quite a lot of vintage parts as well.

Many thanks
Andy G3UEQ
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 4:12 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

That radiodaze site looks like the sort of thing that one could lose oneself in for hours, so I won't! I did spot a CR88 meter scale there too, though. I'm frequently impressed with the diligence and attention to detail that US vintage fans devote to restoration on ARF and specific equipment sites- though the R390A fan-boy stuff can slide into male-ascendancy duelling over how they used "mil-spec" front-panel paint that NASA wanted to use on Mars rovers but couldn't afford, or "mil-spec" super-synth tuning-drive oil that was developed for J58 engines and costs more than Chanel No.5. I suppose it shows that the current "The Audiophoolery Thread" here is a reflection of a more general human affliction!
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 5:25 pm   #5
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

I also have to be careful looking at that site as being retired could end up with no pension!

I did think their prices were quite reasonable, certainly compared with that auction site with its pack hunting mentality.
I have recently restored an AR88 and would love to get the right scale for that meter.
Still, next project, another B44 mK2!

Cheers
Andy
Closed Thread