UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 6th Apr 2020, 11:51 am   #1
stevekendal
Heptode

Default Roberts cabinet and handle deterioration

My Red Roberts Classic FM version started to look rough after just a couple of years. The material is hopelessly soft and peeling everywhere. Two questions. Firstly, how to detach the handle. Second, any recommendations for best covering material please?
Old 6th Apr 2020, 1:39 pm   #2
pip5678
Tetrode

Default Re: Roberts cabinet and handle deterioration

Some of the modern Roberts Revival radios have a tiny circlip on the pivot that the handle swivels on located inside the cabinet; once the circlip is removed the pivot and handle pull off. Getting it back together is altogether more tricky even if you don't loose the circlip.

I have seen these radios with the flaking covering scraped off and stripped back to the material base then primed and painted and they can look good.
pip5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2020, 2:02 pm   #3
stevekendal
Heptode

Thankyou. I'll give it a go.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 3:26 pm   #4
Davewantsone
Hexode

I have repaired quite a few of these radios RD10,50 and 60. All have the same problem when you get them working the state of the case which is really not fit for purpose.
In order to do a "good job" on the case you have to completely dismantle everything. The handle is held on with two very small circlips which I always loose when pulling them off!
The aerial and power supply box (held on with 4 black screws) needs to be removed after undoing the nut holding the aerial socket in place.
The two large slotted screws (were the handle was) can be unscrewed and this releases the complete radio chassis. It may be stiff because glue may have stuck it to the chassis, gently press down at the edges and it will give way.
The loudspeaker terminals can be pulled off and the connector for the battery can be pulled off from the black "aerial" box
The hinge, clasp and badge should now all be removed. (Do not prise badge off from front, it will break! Use a small screwdriver and press gently the two plastic securing lugs to ease it off located inside radio box.
The identification labels and serial number can be pulled off.
Now the difficult bit, the loudspeaker and battery box are fastened by circlips surrounded by rubber. They are easy to press on (in production) but very hard to get off. I use pointed pliers and turn and pull at the same time, they eventually come off!
Remove loudspeaker and battery box.
Remove 4 rubber feet.
Remove the two piping bands that go around the radio box. They are held on at the base by two small nails.
The radio box is now ready for the original coating to be peeled off. Rubbing it with your fingers or using a pan scourer removes it and leaves a off white base. Its best to do this outside for the bits get everywhere!
In the picture below you see an original green, red and yellow radios.
The red radio is a Classic FM RD50. I hand painted it using red acrylic paint from The Range £1.99 50mL. I applied around 3 coats and feathered the final coat when tacky to get rid of brush marks.
The green radio which is now Indigo was done in the same way.
The yellow radio which is now biege, I used a can of spray paint from Poundland, "Desert Sand" matt finish. I sprayed coated again 3 times. The funny thing is it gave the radio a slight furry feel!
When the paint was dry I gave all the radios a gentle spray of clear lacquer (Poundland)
I then reassembled the radios.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roberts radio.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	202343  

Last edited by Davewantsone; 6th Apr 2020 at 3:39 pm.
Davewantsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2020, 3:49 pm   #5
stevekendal
Heptode

Lovely job Dave. Did you do the handle the same way?
Old 6th Apr 2020, 4:13 pm   #6
Davewantsone
Hexode

Yes just peel the outer coating off. The gold handle connectors can be easily removed by opening the retaining lugs.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 5:07 pm   #7
stevekendal
Heptode

Nowhere around here selling small tins of paint
Plenty online, but was it a matt artist's type paint? Do you have a brand name?
Old 7th Apr 2020, 6:09 pm   #8
Lloyd 1985
Octode

Iíve got an RD50 here which was the one with the stainless steel front and back with black fake leather round the middle part and handle, that had shredded too, and I finally got round to recovering it late last year, I used dark colour denim on it, as itís good hard wearing stuff, and actually looks better with a bit of wear on it anyway!

A couple of things, to expand on what Davewantsone said above, the fixings for the battery box and speaker baffle are a pig to remove, once they are off though I found they can be replaced with M3 nuts and washers, as the stud that they push onto is actually M3 threaded, I had a couple of them where the inner metal part wouldnít rotate when the outer plastic part was, so I had to resort to butchering them off, the plastic part of it is in 2 pieces pushed together, so you can crack them open to get to the inner metal part of needed. The feet are fun to remove too, it is just a nail encased in rubber, they break easily, but getting under them right near the centre, where the pin is, and prising them carefully will get them off. Roberts do stock them if you need any new ones, I got 4 new ones for mine, even though I only broke one.

I still havenít done the handle on mine yet! Need to find a suitable sewing needle and some thread, then learn how to use it...

Regards
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	929A32DF-12E9-4FF0-8C69-10152E2C15B2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	202451   Click image for larger version

Name:	D260EE69-3BC8-48AE-AFA8-7D148C153490.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	202452   Click image for larger version

Name:	3863C642-D845-4476-A894-DA97E2375F6F.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	202453  
Lloyd 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2020, 7:04 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Good writeup Dave. The finishings on the Roberts Revival models are shamefully bad. I have a 10 year old RD60 that looks as if mice have been nibbling it, despite being treated very gently over the years.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:08 pm   #10
pip5678
Tetrode

You can also buy lengths of leather strip off the online auction site which make really good looking handles.

If using M3 nuts to put the battery/speaker bit back on be careful not to over tighten them as the 'screw' heads of the countersunk studs beneath the leathercloth cover may budge and snag the covering ruining all your nice paint work.

A good quality eggshell paint also produces an excellent and durable finish on the stripped back covering.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:11 pm   #11
Davewantsone
Hexode

The acrylic paint I used purchased from The Range was Crafters Choice. I have used this brand for other Roberts radios such as RT1 and R200s. The rexine is usually quite good on the old radios but the colour has faded or ingrind with dirt! I have other Roberts Revival radios I have done in green and blue. I have not managed to find a paint for my RT1 that paints white stars on a black background! To remove the dull finish after painting I lightly spray with clear lacquer (Poundland). I use a round paintbrush (1/3inch) and tap the brush all over the radio to remove any visible paint strokes.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 8:26 pm   #12
Davewantsone
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip5678 View Post
You can also buy lengths of leather strip off the online auction site which make really good looking handles.

If using M3 nuts to put the battery/speaker bit back on be careful not to over tighten them as the 'screw' heads of the countersunk studs beneath the leathercloth cover may budge and snag the covering ruining all your nice paint work.

A good quality eggshell paint also produces an excellent and durable finish on the stripped back covering.
I think I have mentioned it somewhere before. I found a suitable source for Roberts handles was again Poundland. They are in the disguise of dog leads!
They had red, brown and black leather effect colours. Each lead makes at least two handles!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1064.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	202463  
Old 7th Apr 2020, 10:40 pm   #13
pip5678
Tetrode

Two handles for a quid sounds good value, the leather alternative is a little more costly but does look good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	202478  
Old 19th Apr 2020, 10:49 am   #14
stevekendal
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewantsone View Post
I have repaired quite a few of these radios RD10,50 and 60. All have the same problem when you get them working the state of the case which is really not fit for purpose.
In order to do a "good job" on the case you have to completely dismantle everything. The handle is held on with two very small circlips which I always loose when pulling them off!
The aerial and power supply box (held on with 4 black screws) needs to be removed after undoing the nut holding the aerial socket in place.
The two large slotted screws (were the handle was) can be unscrewed and this releases the complete radio chassis. It may be stiff because glue may have stuck it to the chassis, gently press down at the edges and it will give way.
The loudspeaker terminals can be pulled off and the connector for the battery can be pulled off from the black "aerial" box
The hinge, clasp and badge should now all be removed. (Do not prise badge off from front, it will break! Use a small screwdriver and press gently the two plastic securing lugs to ease it off located inside radio box.
The identification labels and serial number can be pulled off.
Now the difficult bit, the loudspeaker and battery box are fastened by circlips surrounded by rubber. They are easy to press on (in production) but very hard to get off. I use pointed pliers and turn and pull at the same time, they eventually come off!
Remove loudspeaker and battery box.
Remove 4 rubber feet.
Remove the two piping bands that go around the radio box. They are held on at the base by two small nails.
The radio box is now ready for the original coating to be peeled off. Rubbing it with your fingers or using a pan scourer removes it and leaves a off white base. Its best to do this outside for the bits get everywhere!
In the picture below you see an original green, red and yellow radios.
The red radio is a Classic FM RD50. I hand painted it using red acrylic paint from The Range £1.99 50mL. I applied around 3 coats and feathered the final coat when tacky to get rid of brush marks.
The green radio which is now Indigo was done in the same way.
The yellow radio which is now biege, I used a can of spray paint from Poundland, "Desert Sand" matt finish. I sprayed coated again 3 times. The funny thing is it gave the radio a slight furry feel!
When the paint was dry I gave all the radios a gentle spray of clear lacquer (Poundland)
I then reassembled the radios.
Hope this helps.
I've got quite a nice matt finish with artist's acryllic from a tube , but the spray lacquer that I tested on the inner surface of the rear cover looks way too shiny. Did you use matt ?
Old 19th Apr 2020, 8:11 pm   #15
Davewantsone
Hexode

I just used a tin of clear laquer from Poundland. Unfortunately I have disposed of it as I used the rest of it spraying some laminations for a Bush LOPT. I only sprayed it very lightly once onto the radio at a distance of around 2ft.