UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories


Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Thread Tools
Old 31st Mar 2020, 7:19 pm   #1
Michael Maurice
Michael Maurice's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wembley, Middlesex
Posts: 6,078
Default Dansette Transit

There are two versions of this portable record player, the mains only one with a UL84 and UY85 and the more common one with battery/mains operation and a transistor amplifier. This was the latter.

First the power supply: The mains input socket was designed to operate a little switch to switch from battery to mains but it depended on having the original mains cable which I didn't have. The solution was to use a small relay as per the diagram attached. The relay was wired so that without mains applied, the battery would power the amplifier. When mains is applied the relay was energised and the relay would switch to power from the transformer and rectifier.

The relay switches on the negative side purely because it is a positive earth system, it wouldn't have made any difference if I'd switched the positive side, however the motor and amplifier are switched on the positive (ground) side because I used the motor switch to switch both amplifier and motor and that switch is on the positive rail.

Next the deck some of the problems were discussed in this thread But there was more to it than that. One of the problems I found was that other springs were also missing. One problem I had was that when the last record was finished (or there wasn't a record on the stacker) as the change cycle started the deck would switch off. This was due to a spring missing between the start/stop/reject lever and a peg.

Once this was sorted out the deck ran well. The motor was adjusted for the correct speed.

The volume control was very scratchy and no amount of switch cleaner helped so I replaced it. On playing records the sound was very distorted, the cause was the loudspeaker. I found a good replacement and that cured that. Before doing so, I tried a more modern replacement, which worked but with much reduced volume. I guess they're not as efficient as the old ones.

It's now playing Whispering Grass by The Ink Spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dansette Transit.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	201927   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	201928  
Forum Moderator
Michael Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2020, 7:20 am   #2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bognor Regis, West Sussex, UK.
Posts: 875
Default Re: Dansette Transit

Thanks for sharing Michael, I have one of these on my "to do" list.

Electronpusher0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2020, 6:05 pm   #3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 788
Default Re: Dansette Transit

I like the relay switching solution. I also like "Whispering grass" by The Inkspots, the best version of a beautiful song.

...No, it's not supposed to pick up the World Service, it's not a radio!
unitaudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:35 pm.

All information and advice on this forum is subject to the WARNING AND DISCLAIMER located at
Failure to heed this warning may result in death or serious injury to yourself and/or others.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2002 - 2020, Paul Stenning.