UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2020, 3:30 pm   #21
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Harwell rally 9 February

This is an early one circa 1974 by the looks. Has nuvistor front end. I'll do a thread on it once I've worked out the situation. At the moment the mains lead is the main issue. There is none! So it's a case of modification for IEC inlet or add a captive lead (yuck)
Old 10th Feb 2020, 5:02 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

Ah, you'll have the 'NEMA' style mains connector.

The cables were rubber with a moulded rubber connector and many have gone rotten by now. I have a few good ones, but they're all for period instruments. Filing the hole for an IEC type is the way to go.

David
Old 10th Feb 2020, 6:56 pm   #23
MrBungle
Dekatron

That’s the one. I measured up and a C6 connector is close. I might go that way as it’ll probably stop me from having to mutilate the chassis.
Old 10th Feb 2020, 9:53 pm   #24
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
This is an early one circa 1974 by the looks. Has nuvistor front end. I'll do a thread on it once I've worked out the situation. At the moment the mains lead is the main issue. There is none! So it's a case of modification for IEC inlet or add a captive lead (yuck)
As I said over on "eevblog", that 3400A is a 1960's one with a later replacement chopper amp PCB inside, look for earlier date codes on the other PCB's, the red power neon and PH-163 mains inlet were discontinued long before 1974.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Ah, you'll have the 'NEMA' style mains connector.

The cables were rubber with a moulded rubber connector and many have gone rotten by now. I have a few good ones, but they're all for period instruments. Filing the hole for an IEC type is the way to go.

David
Not NEMA (that is the US mains plug on the other end of the cable), it's a PH-163 connector, the power leads were also made from PVC too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Volex 17952 8 B1 Cord PH163 Connector.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	198778

David
Old 10th Feb 2020, 10:29 pm   #25
MrBungle
Dekatron

I'm not sure it's 1960s. There are 74 date code power supply cans in it and the meter is dated 73. It's a bit of a weird one. The chopper PCB also has 74 date code parts in it. Perhaps it was made out of left overs

Yes PH-163. Unobtainium, or at least too expensive to bother. C6 looks like it nearly fits in the hole so I can probably forge an adapter plate for it.

Nice to see some fellow TEA members here as well!
Old 10th Feb 2020, 11:34 pm   #26
factory
Octode

Just had a better look at the pictures on the TEA thread (eevblog), the PSU PCB at the back has a couple of 65 date code capacitors & a transistor, the side TC PCB also has a 65 date code cap.
The middle chopper amp PCB (green colour) has the 74 codes, that PCB has the newer & smaller sized optical chopper block, I suspect it's been replaced at some point.

One of mine has been updated with a much later 1980's solid state chopper PCB, but still has the nuvistor PCB.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5158a.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	198782

Also I never noticed before, but the power transformers use ribbon cables.

David

PS, try a wanted post, someone may have a spare PH-163 power lead.
Old 11th Feb 2020, 12:42 am   #27
MrBungle
Dekatron

You are indeed correct. I appear to have fudged my notes. Doh! Was in a hurry so I could go play with that 2245.

The power transformer does indeed use the ribbon cable. Not sure I’m too happy about that. I prefer something a little heftier for the mains wiring.
Closed Thread