UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2020, 3:55 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Has anyone tried 'Tableau' spray stain/varnish

Hi all,
I've just came across a combined spray stain/varnish by a brand called Tableau. Looks like it is a polyurethane based varnish but I wonder if anyone has used this with good results? I know it can be a problem when refinishing cabinets to get a finish that replicates the original factory finish. I wonder if this would give closer results to the original spray finishes they used to apply.

I have a french HMV record player that I am currently restoring, I may try it out on this and see what the results are like.

Here's a link to their site:
https://www.tableauproducts.com/cate...od-varnish/980
Old 1st Mar 2020, 6:21 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Has anyone tried 'Tableau' spray stain/varnish

The hardware shop next door stocks it or can get it. I'll try the product and report back my findings.

DFWB.
Old 1st Mar 2020, 7:08 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

I’ll be interested in the results, I’m in the process of refurbishing my Pye BB.
John
Old 1st Mar 2020, 7:17 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

For me, the available shades appear to be too far apart for them to be of use on most refurb jobs. The mahogany is too 'red', the dark oak is too 'dark', and the light oak is too 'light'. They're furniture colours. Radio cabinets were more often than not finished in mid brown, walnut kind of colours. You might get away with the dark one but depending on how many coats you apply a lot detailing, marquetry, and natural figuring may be lost under the dark varnish. Sorry if I'm coming over negative, just giving my well meant opinion.

I'm not trying to incite another "This is the best varnish/lacquer" debate, but seriously, if you haven't tried any brush applied products in recent years, they have come on in leaps and bounds. They flow out easily, don't leave brush marks, they self level, dry quickly, sand easily and take repeat coats quickly. I use Wilko Quick Dry varnish. You can get it in matt, satin and gloss, and in colours including very useful medium oak and antique pine. I swear by it and have had very good results using it. It's nothing like the Ronseal type poly finishes of old that drag on the brush, 'never' dry properly, and are a complete pain to get a good finish with, it's leagues better. Buy a small tin (£6 for 250ml) and brush it onto a scrap piece of wood?

Last edited by stevehertz; 1st Mar 2020 at 7:31 pm.
Old 1st Mar 2020, 8:01 pm   #5
John10b
Nonode

That’s useful information, I might give it a try, what colour will match my BB, many thanks.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93DB8D3B-088E-4107-9833-B0E55FD730A5.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	200009  
Old 1st Mar 2020, 11:07 pm   #6
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Yes it will be interesting to see the results and how well it actually works. I agree somewhat with you Steve, there isn't a wide colour range but I think that the 'Dark Oak' looks somewhat like the very dark varnishes that you get, this is very similar to the record player that I may try it on. They could do with a medium wood colour really as that would be a closer match to many older items.

I've used a lot of brush varnish in the past and I find it very good at the job but a while back I bought some poly clear lacquer and sprayed a cabinet in that and it worked very well with a very similar finish to the original. The only problems I found with this is that I had to stain separately and the lacquer was just a bit too thick really. In the end I got good results which made me think that if this is deaigned specifically for furniture then it may be a little better than what I used. I may buy some too and report back as to what I find.

John, it's quite hard to say for sure really which colour would go well. Dark oak certainly looks close but may be a little too dark for it, like Steve said the shadings are very far apart and yours looks to be closer to dark oak but not quite as dark!
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 12:36 pm   #7
John10b
Nonode

Thank you I’ll give it some thought
John
Closed Thread